Easy kegging question about serving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-ost

Reaction score
I can't seem to find the answer to this so maybe you all can help me.

Once you reach your desired carbonation do you just leave the C02 at serving pressure or do you turn it back to what i read is "equilibrium" (around 12-15 psi) until the next day or when you want another drink?

i leave at serving pressure unless it is going to be sitting for a while before i drink again then i got to about 12 psi

I carb at 12 psi, and leave it at 12psi while serving. Never changes, that way I always know it's got 12 psi worth in the beer and will dispense properly with my beer line length (15-20feet 3/16th).

Turning it down for an extended period means the beer will slowly lose carb as it equalizes with the headspace. Turning it up will do the opposite, of course.

My line is about 4' long but it pours fine if i serve it at 5-8 psi. Sounds like I should keep it at around 12-15 after I'm done drinking for the day then?

My line is about 4' long but it pours fine if i serve it at 5-8 psi. Sounds like I should keep it at around 12-15 after I'm done drinking for the day then?

Yes.

Or ideally, get a 10' long line and leave it at 12 psi all the time. No turning up or down or purging, or anything like that.

You really shouldn't have a "carbonation" pressure and a "serving" pressure. I have 5 kegs in my kegerator, and I can't imagine purging this one and turning it down to serve, but wanting a different beer the next time and repeating the process. Then turning them up each time I'm finished. It's much easier to leave the whole kegerator alone and just lengthen the line!

Thanks yooper! I will definitely get a 10' line for the sake of ease.

Thank you all for your help!

Or get the little plastic mixers and drop em in yer dip tubes. Search "cure for short hose" on here and you'll get the thread talking about it

Yes.

Or ideally, get a 10' long line and leave it at 12 psi all the time. No turning up or down or purging, or anything like that.

You really shouldn't have a "carbonation" pressure and a "serving" pressure. I have 5 kegs in my kegerator, and I can't imagine purging this one and turning it down to serve, but wanting a different beer the next time and repeating the process. Then turning them up each time I'm finished. It's much easier to leave the whole kegerator alone and just lengthen the line!

This is how I'm set up and it works like a charm. I've never heard of changing pressures. I carb at 12 psi and never touch it.

Or get the little plastic mixers and drop em in yer dip tubes. Search "cure for short hose" on here and you'll get the thread talking about it

I kinda like those because they would not take up more space in my already cramped fridge. Plus, my work orders from grainger so I cpould probably get them at cost sweet idea.

H-ost said:
I kinda like those because they would not take up more space in my already cramped fridge. Plus, my work orders from grainger so I cpould probably get them at cost sweet idea.

Yup, I think the idea is brilliant and I gave it a try last week and my pour is awesome. I used 2 mixers in a stout at about 10.5psi. My pour is a bit slow but not excrutiating... 1 might have done it but I'll probably just drop 2 in every keg now when I fill them

Back