Dose a Keggle MT need a Sight Glass ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider736

Reaction score
In the process of understanding All Grain Brewing, and building a standard Keg HLT, MT & BK design.

I have found a site that sells a "Thread-in" Sight glass/3' Thermometer combo kit. I am planning to use them on my HLT & BK.

Do I need a Sight glass for my MT ? Can I get away with just a Thermometer ?

Will I regret not having a Sight Glass ??
Were can I find a 3" Thead-in Thermometer ??

ThX Red

I put a sight glass on mine, but it's not very helpful. A couple of times it has actually caused problems by sucking air in to the mash when I recirculate too aggressively. I'm planning to plug mine, and just measure water going in to it from my HLT. Once you dough-in the level is never accurate anyhow.

It's beneficial if you fly sparge as it allows you to monitor the water level. Necessary? No.

To avoid sucking air into the mash during recirculation, I cap the tube with a 3/8" soft vinyl cap.

It's beneficial if you fly sparge as it allows you to monitor the water level. Necessary? No.

To avoid sucking air into the mash during recirculation, I cap the tube with a 3/8" soft vinyl cap.

I fly sparge, but the level on the sight glass never corresponds to the level in the MLT while I sparge. Between the suction from the pump on the MLT, and the grist, it just kind of hovers around mid level. It does serve as a pretty good indicator when I'm recirculating too fast and I can throttle back before level disappears from the glass.

diatonic said:
I fly sparge, but the level on the sight glass never corresponds to the level in the MLT while I sparge. Between the suction from the pump on the MLT, and the grist, it just kind of hovers around mid level. It does serve as a pretty good indicator when I'm recirculating too fast and I can throttle back before level disappears from the glass.

Still though, it gives an idea where the water level needs to stay, regardless if the gallon accuracy is right. And a bit off ss braid from the sight glass to the ball valve works great

I use a commercial/industrial analog thermometer I purchased on eBay a couple of years ago and it has always worked well. I recalibrate it every 10 batches or so. YMMV.

That's basically the same type I was using. It was made by REO Temp. This is the one I have:

http://www.reotemp.com/back_connect_bimetal_thermometers.html

It would not hold calibration at all and it was inconsistent across the range. It shows no visible sign of damage. It was not cheap, but it is now for sale very cheap.

I use a Trerice B8560405.

Bimetal_Thermometers.jpg

$32 on eBay right now.

Back