Bottled Homebrew and Sporting Events

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonScott

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to the hobby. I've got my first batch fermenting, and I'm thinking ahead to the upcoming baseball season. My team allows fans to bring in a cooler with sandwiches, snacks, plastic bottled water/soda etc..just no metal. My question, is does anybody have any experience bottling homebrew into plastic water / soda bottles and taking them to sporting events?

I know it might not be the ethical thing to do, but I look forward to enjoying some baseball and homebrew at the same time.

I'd love to hear the opinions of experienced homebrewers.

Jason

I've watched guy's bottle into plastic bottles with screw on lids on youtube. The plastic bottles will hold more pressure than glass bottles.

I've never tried it though.

I bottle my homebrew in plastic coopers bottles when I'm going to a nascar race. can't bring glass into the track, but you can bring in as much beer as you can carry if its in plastic bottles.

Don't use water bottles, they are too thin.

I use PET soda bottles. Just reduce the keg pressure to 5psi, fill the bottles, then cap tightly. They will lose pressure over time, so try to fill them at the last moment.

The 1 liter PET bottles Wal*Mart sells their flavored, carbonated water in work the best.

Montain Dew bottles work great as "stealth" beer bottles.

:mug:

Cpt. Kirks,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely look into those particular bottless.

"The 1 liter PET bottles Wal*Mart sells their flavored, carbonated water in work the best.

Montain Dew bottles work great as "stealth" beer bottles"

I was looking into this idea too... do new caps with the twist off seal need to be used or can the original cap from the soda bottle work indefinitely ?

I use the plastic Coors Light and Miller light Bottles that they sell in 6 packs. I have collected around a hundred or so and they seem to hold up very well. Had my first flat beer this weekend after numerous batches this way...however it was user error as the lid never got tightened down on bottling day. :drunk:

After drinking one, rinse a few times, then sanitize on bottling day.

Easy if you ask me! Good Luck

beer = water based with carbonation
Soda = same.
CO2 volumes are similar
beer in soda bottle, why not.

The ushers at AT&T Park (home of your 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION SF GIANTS!) are meticulous. If they're checking your bags, they check to see if a soda bottle has been opened, and if it has they sniff the contents. I've tried to plop some Captain Morgan into a bottle of coke on a couple of occasions, and have had it snagged, as well as vodka. Feh.

The ushers at AT&T Park (home of your 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION SF GIANTS!) are meticulous. If they're checking your bags, they check to see if a soda bottle has been opened, and if it has they sniff the contents. I've tried to plop some Captain Morgan into a bottle of coke on a couple of occasions, and have had it snagged, as well as vodka. Feh.

why not take in a flask and buy a soda at the game????

Mr. Beer kits have you bottle with plastic bottles. I know many of us are more advances than that but it is what I started with. I still bottle sparkling hard cider in these bottles and use soda bottles (12 oz, 20 oz and 1 liter bottles) when needed. I mix all of the caps and haven't had any pressure or carbonation loss yet (even after storing a few bottles for over a year).

I would say it is perfectly fine and a great way to drink your brew at a game. Just make sure you bring a cup so you can enjoy your homebrew, aroma and all. Never drink your hard work straight out of the bottle!

I bottle most of my beer in 16.9 and 20oz plastic Coke bottles. I store them in a dark closet to avoid skunking and they always taste great.

I love plastic bottles. They can't break, they can take a LOT more carbonation than glass, and I drink a lot of Diet Coke, so I have a constant source of them. Plus, I can take them to the beach without a problem, particularly stouts since they are a similar color to the Coke that was originally in the bottles.

Back