Carbing in apple juice jug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtymike1

Reaction score
Just like the title says, can I carb some of Edowrt's apfelwein in the plastic jugs that they come in? Has anyone tried this?? This would make my life so much easier then bottling all 10 gallons, and since I want to bring a bunch to a BBQ when it done, it would make serivng it easy too.

Cheers!

I would not carb in them unless they are the harder plastic. I will use 2 liters in a pinch, but they are manufactured to be under pressure.

What Hoosierbrewer said. If it wasn't made to be under pressure I wouldn't use it. It might work or it might explode; that's a "might" I'd prefer to leave on the shelf.

Rick

Generally if the container is not intended to hold pressure it probably wont. If you have plastic apple juice jars you can try it (I don't think its going to work, it will bulge out your bottle and your cap wont seal). If you have a glass bottle I'd be afraid to try it as it was not intended for pressure.

Go with a 2 or 3 liter soda bottle, those are meant to hold carbonation, and are large.

Well I've got the 1 gallon Mott's jugs. They are pretty stout, so I think they might work. I just wanted to ask so I'm not cleaning 2 or 3 gallons of wien in my apartment.

Anyone have any stories? Good or bad

Cool, I'll just get some 3 liters and use those for mass bottling. Do I need to adjust the amount of priming sugar when using these? I wouldn't think so but it can't hurt to ask.

I wa going to use the 3/4 cup per 5 gallons as recommened

Well when Kegging I've read to use half the priming sugar you would use for bottling. On the other hand Apfelwein can be carbonated higher than beer to make it more champagne like, and soda is also carbonated fairly high (so the 2-3 liter bottles can take it). If it was me I'd use the same amount of priming sugar as normal, if I got a little more carbonation than usual I'd be fine with that.

Back