Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slc10

Reaction score
i'm kinda new to all grain brewing (on my 4th batch) and i want to brew a Sam Adams Noble pils with dry hopping.
1. with all of the worries of contaminating your beer, how do u sanitize the hops used in dry hopping.
2. do i just add them to the secondary or will it be better if i put them in a sanitized muzin bag.

There is no need to sanitize your hops. To directly quote (or maybe paraphrase) Palmer's book, contamination from hops "just doesn't happen". For whatever reason, it's the case. Toss 'em in - no need to sanitize!

Adding to secondary direct vs. using a muslin bag is a matter of preference and what kind of hops you're using (pellets vs. whole vs. plugs). Keep in mind that what you put in will expand and may be tough to fish out afterwards. I just toss pellets in directly and then use a paint strainer bag over my racking cane when racking to the bottling bucket. However, everyone's got their own way to dry hop. Search on "dry hopping techniques" or something similar and read away.

There is no need to sanitize your hops. To directly quote (or maybe paraphrase) Palmer's book, contamination from hops "just doesn't happen". For whatever reason, it's the case. Toss 'em in - no need to sanitize!

Adding to secondary direct vs. using a muslin bag is a matter of preference and what kind of hops you're using (pellets vs. whole vs. plugs). Keep in mind that what you put in will expand and may be tough to fish out afterwards. I just toss pellets in directly and then use a paint strainer bag over my racking cane when racking to the bottling bucket. However, everyone's got their own way to dry hop. Search on "dry hopping techniques" or something similar and read away.

thanks, I'll do a little more reading but your way sounds easy.

Latest posts

Back