yeast starter mishap, thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderj

Reaction score
Yesterday evening I put together two yeast starters for the brew day today, one Wyeast german ale, and white labs california ale. My usual routine is to boil 4 oz of DME in 1000 ml in a sauce pan, put that in the freezer untill it is cold enough not to break the two glass bottles (looza juice bottles) that I use for starters. Last night I let the pan sit in the freezer for maybe one hour. It was still pretty warm when I transferred to the glass bottles, maybe 100-110. By now it was about 12:00 and I was pretty tired. I have no idea why but my brain skipped out for a minute and I pitched the yeast while they were still warm. The ole brain switched right back on with a big WTF, I got pissed off at myself and went to bed out ~$16 on yeast and figured that as a last minute I would pich up some dry yeast in the morning. This morning there is a krausen in each starter. I am sure there has to be a bunch of dead cells in there too so what does anyone think? Pitch them? Pitch then onto the compost pile? any thoughts? They still have about 12 hours before I would pitch them, do you think that they will multiply enough before then? The expected OG is only 1.057 si it is not a huge beer or anything.
-ander

Don't you worry. About a ting. Cause every little ting. Gonna be alright.

If you have activity, then your water wasn't hot enough to kill 'em. You don't know for sure that you killed any! Let it be, your cells are reproducing as we type, and all will be well!

Latest posts

Back