Full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KELLEHERC

Reaction score
For my next batch I want to try a FULL BOIL as well as a starter.

I have read endless threads about FULL BOILS but it seemed like a lot of differing opinions so I figured I would post my own thread.

- amount of water?
6 gals? I have a 30 gal pot and a propane burner and since I have never done this before I need a best guess.

- adjustments to recipe?
I have not decided on a brew yet so Iam open to suggestions but it will likely be an extract kit.
Are there adjustments that I need to make?
I saw many opinions on hop changes as well as timing of additions (extract?)

- any other suggestions?

Thanks

You have a 30gallon pot and aren't doing full boils yet? I assume you mean 30-quart?

I use a 30-quart turkey fryer setup, and typically collect 6.5 gallons to boil down to 5.5 or 5 depending on the recipe.

You'll also have to be Johnny on the Spot to make sure you don't boil over with those volumes. It helps to have a fan gently blowing at the top of the kettle, but that also increases the time it takes to bring the wort to a boil and increases your boil-off volume (there is no free lunch).

Happy brewing :rockin:

The 30 qt and burner are borrowed.
I read about getting better brews with a full boil.
If I do i will invest in one.

My advice? Buy a bigger pot. Just do it. The only consideration is IF YOU LIKE BREWING!

You will very much enjoy boiling in a pot that can readily handle a 5 gallon batch. I have used a turkey fryer, which is 7.5 gallons, and it's doable, but I really preferred adding Baby Gas Drops, or Fermcap to the boil to help prevent boil-over. Read up on foam control drops and make your own mind up on it. I think it's made my brewing a lot less hassle, and the 42.5 point beer I made with it shows that it doesn't affect the quality.

When you use your friend's pot, only add enough water to make boiling safe. You can always top off at the end. It may not be "FULL" boil, but close enough.

And +1 on the starter for Liquid yeast. Dry yeast has a lot more cells than liquid, so if you are doing a basic ale recipe with a clean flavor, why not jsut use dry and pitch 2 packets, they are cheap.

For liquid, I highly recommend a starter. Go to www.mrmalty.com and try out his pitching rate calculator.

Full Boil
Aerate well
Pitch proper amount of yeast
Ferment at the low end of the yeast's range

You will make great beer.

Back