I'm wondering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyb15fd

Reaction score
This past Saturday I bottled my first batch. As I was taking the beer from the primary bucket and putting it in the bottling bucket I noticed some yeast particles and stuff floating around. I am wondering if I buy some screen from the hardware store ( you know that really small hole screen used on porches ) and sanitize it, if I could put it over my bucket and just pour the beer in to the bottle bucket and not worry about getting all that floating junk possibly in my bottles.. what do you guys think...??? Maybe they make something like that already and I just dont know about it... I dont know..

You want, nay must, transfer your beer quietly to avoid oxygenation.
Do not worry about the yeast, etc. It will settle out in the bottles.

what northernlad said.
not to mention, you gotta have the yeast in the bottles to consume the priming sugar so your beer will carbonate

Yup, there'll be yeasties at the bottom of the bottle when your done anyway, otherwise your carbonation failed. :D

Why is it that all the big name beers like Bud dont have anything at the bottom of those bottles...?? I wonder what they do..??

I see, I have to learn how to do that... Does anyone know of any websites or books I can read to learn how..? Im new to home brewing, I only have 1 batch under my belt...

http://howtobrew.com/intro.html

Read that, then when you're done read it again. Get your process down, learn to appreciate good beer, love your yeasties, then tackle kegging and force carbing.

In order for you to get what the big guys do on such a small scale you would need to keg, transfer with CO2 and an inline filter to another keg, force carb, and then bottle from your keg. You'd also probably want to crash cool and use gelatin to drop out your yeast.

Thanks again for the great info... Also.. How do you measure 1 lb of honey..? I want to make a honey wheat and I see recipes that say 1 lb of honey.. I bought some good honey from a fresh market but not really sure how to measure it.. Any ideas..??

Thanks again for the great info... Also.. How do you measure 1 lb of honey..? I want to make a honey wheat and I see recipes that say 1 lb of honey.. I bought some good honey from a fresh market but not really sure how to measure it.. Any ideas..??

You need a scale. A small kitchen scale would work. I have a small one, and it measures up to a pound. I use it for hops, for priming sugar, honey, etc.

Pick up a food scale, you'll end up using it for hops, DME, & other ingredients once you start to brew more, move away from the kits and move up to recipes. And you will start to brew more, and you most likely will start to buy your ingredients in bulk like a lot of us do.

Back