My entire Gas tank emptied while I was sleeping...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
This past weekend I filled up a tank and hooked it up to my new kegerator system. It has been filling up 5 kegs (Each hardly had any pressure). Last night everything looked good...now this morning, the tap is empty and all my secondary regulators are reading zero.

Am I correct in assuming that there HAS to be a leak? I thought a 5lb Co2 Tank could charge and hold 5 kegs for more than a week.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Definitely a leak. You'll have to get a refill on the tank, then use a sprayer of star-san solution and spray all connections. Check the lids on the tanks, the posts on the tanks, the valves on the lines, the places were the regulator attaches (make sure that it's tight and that the nylon washer is in place), etc. It's a pain finding them, but you should have a good chance of finding it quickly since it's a pretty obvious leak.

Some suggestions and comments.
I know you can use star-san, but I find liquid dish soap with some water makes a better leak detector. The reasoning is; mixed properly the soapy water will be very thick, and when sprayed onto the connections will not roll off the connections, but will be "stuck" on it allowing you more time to look for leaks.

Also, if you are using a distribution manifold, check that in a bucket of water, I know they come all pretty and teflon taped already, but when I got mine, I spent an hour taking out valves, re-taping them, putting them back in, and then I was chasing air leaks around the entire manifold until they were all fixed. I ended up reaplcing all the teflon tape, and removing every part on the air manifold.

Start the leak check at the regulator and work your way from there. Once they are done right, they truly are bullet proof, and dont leak after that unless you areplace something.

hope this helps,
Josh

If your having a hrad time finding the leak you can spray a some soap and water on the fittings or where ever you suspect the leak. If it's leaking you'll see it bubble.

I also place my grey ball lock quick disconnects in a glass of starsan to check those. Then i will apply pressure. Leave the kegs disconnected apply pressure to manifold and gas lines with disconnects on. The turn main co2 tank valve off. THe regulator pressure should remain constant , it does on mine for weeks. If it drops in a few hours the problem is before you kegs. Use soap to look for leak. Although once you find the leak and fix it you should pressure test your kegs with soap as well.

remember to check all the connections like the seal between the regulator and the co2 tank. And check the kegs as well. the pressure relief valve leaked on one of mine once.

All of my gray ball lock's from Norther Brewer came very lose, as did the liquid out ball locks. The spot where the hose meets the ball lock was super loose. Don't know if these were new fittings but it's another idea on where to look.

I just found a leak last night on the pressure relief valve of one of my kegs, so make sure to check that part too. (Also as mentioned earlier, I pressurize the whole system without kegs and turn the gas off, if there is pressure 1 hr later then I know the leak is in the kegs not the gas system)

Sounds like your leak is pretty fast, so the soapy water or star-san should work, but if it doesn't you might want to try some gas leak detector solution (local hardware store or home depot, etc). When I had to find a really slow leak, I had to go that route - soap and star-san would dry up before the leak could show itself. Frustrating!

Good luck in your hunt! :mug:

Check that your poppets are tight in your kegs. Last time I lost a full tank of Co2, my poppet had come loose. Screwed it tight and all was well - except that I had no gas of course.

mine is leaking from the little hole in the regulator I guess its a weep hole one was on the regulator itself and the other was one of the secondaries. I ordered some rebuild kits just waiting on them. Very slow but I hate losing any CO2.

I had one leaking on the in poppet (no biggie as long as you keep a closed or pressurized line on it) but I use them for fermenting, conditioning, etc. If I pulled one off tap with beer in it with intention on putting it back in later, would have sucked... Had to set it upside down in the tub to find out my one poppet foot was a little bent. SLOW leak...

If you are looking for an air or gas leak, buy some of that bubble stuff that kids use to play with. It is cheap, and it will show a leak real quick. I used to be a plumber and when I checked a gas line it worked better than anything us plumbers could.

Back