Won't use Munton's carbonating tabs again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockindaddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I normally keg my beer, but will still bottle every once in awhile. I bottled a batch on Father's Day only to realize I had no priming sugar. Went to LHBS only to find it closed for Father's Day. Came back home and realized I had a bag of Munton's carbonating tabs in my fridge. I thought...GREAT, I'm saved! Well after a couple weeks there are still 3 large chunks of undissolved tabs and a bunch of little chunks. I keep moving the bottles to warmer areas in hopes of ramping up the yeast, but so far no success. It's a bad first experience, so I won't be using these again. :(

That's what I had planned on until I found these in the fridge and I thought they'd be a better alternative. Boy, was I wrong!

Yeah, I've been swirling. I'm gonna stick them in my warm garage and see if the yeast can munch on them more. My first and last time using them.

yea +1 to just using table sugar, I've used it to boost abv with mixed results before but the small amount involved with priming I have no issues with

Only problem with the Cooper's is that you can't adjust priming. With Munton's small tabs you can use 2 or 3 for less/more. Big tablets would have to be split to adjust.
I still like table sugar unless it's for 1 to 6 or 8 bottles.

Well, I finally got to pour my first beer from this batch and the large chunks seem to fall apart as you pour, but still leave small little bits floating around in the beer. The beer turned out good, but I just can't bring myself to drink that last bit in the bottom with all the white flecks floating at the bottom. I'm glad the beer wasn't ruined, but I still won't be using these again.

Well, I finally got to pour my first beer from this batch and the large chunks seem to fall apart as you pour, but still leave small little bits floating around in the beer. The beer turned out good, but I just can't bring myself to drink that last bit in the bottom with all the white flecks floating at the bottom. I'm glad the beer wasn't ruined, but I still won't be using these again.

When you use other sugars for carbonating you end up with yeast/trub on the bottom of the bottle. Are you sure it wasn't just this rather than something unique to the tabs?

When you use other sugars for carbonating you end up with yeast/trub on the bottom of the bottle. Are you sure it wasn't just this rather than something unique to the tabs?

Yes, I've been brewing long enough to know the difference. Especially when the chunks are about 1/4" in diameter before they go through the strainer. They were the non-dissolved Munton's tabs. I'm just happy the beer is good. A little under carbonated, but still good.

I logged onto the forums as I am kegging an IPA and bottling a six pack for friends, and I am using brewers best carbonation drops :p Hope they turn out okay.

Yes, I've been brewing long enough to know the difference. Especially when the chunks are about 1/4" in diameter before they go through the strainer. They were the non-dissolved Munton's tabs. I'm just happy the beer is good. A little under carbonated, but still good.

Glad it turned out, cheers.:mug:

Back