Thinking of brrwing a #9 type beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottballz

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forum and semi new to home brewing so please be nice. I was thinking of brewing a #9 type of beer using a great pale ale recipe. I have had great results with this recipe and was thinking of adding some apricot purée to spice it up a little. Any thoughts?

I think scottballz is referring to Magic Hat #9.

When would you add the puree?

I would vote for 1/3rd of the purée at 5 minutes and the other two thirds in secondary.

Captain Damage said:
Just FYI, Magic Hat uses apricot extract in #9. Heard a podcast interview with one of the guys there a couple of years ago.

If I use the extract when do you think a good time to add it would be?

For the extract wait till bottling and pull a small measured sample say like 6 Oz then add extract till sample is desired flavor then extrapolate the sample size to the batch size and add that amount to the beer

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forum and semi new to home brewing so please be nice. I was thinking of brewing a #9 type of beer using a great pale ale recipe. I have had great results with this recipe and was thinking of adding some apricot purée to spice it up a little. Any thoughts?

Scott Ballz - From Burlington?

Question - is the extract just "pure flavor" or is there sugar in it too? If there is sugar and you add it at bottling, how do you determine how much priming sugar to use?

Back