How do ya modify grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
I've got some 2-row and I've got some hops and some yeast from an earlier batch. I don't have any specialty grains. Anyone know how hot to bake run of the mill(hahah, grains.... mill... I "crack" myself up!!! HAHAHA!!!) grains to simulate specialty grains? Anyone know what would happen if I used a propane torch to blacken some oatmean(slowly and without touching the tip of the flame to the food) then boil it for a few hours(like you would with oatmeal to prepare it for a mash)? Could that be a good thing? I'm itching to modify my own grains, more for fun than any other reason. I can't find anything on the subject. Can anyone tell me what they have done or point me in the right direction?

I think what you want to do is just toasting your grains, do it at 350F in the oven to the temperature you want. I wouldn't try with oatmeal, get the color in the 2-row and just mash the oatmeal with your malt. If you really want to get the most out of your oatmeal you can do a "cereal mash" by boiling the oatmeal before mashing. Toasting your malt will denature most of the enzymes so be sure to keep plenty of regular old 2-row to convert the starches.

modifying usually refers to the process of turning barley into malt.

Back