cheap nitro setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slakwhere

Reaction score
ok i know you guys always have your finger on the pulse of the cheapest gear on the net... i need to get a nitro tap (or 2) as well as a reg and a tank. who's got them the cheapest? :mug:

Kegcowboy is the cheapest for the faucets, the reg there is the same as a lot of places. http://kegcowboy.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=220

Im not a huge fan of kegcowboy after my last order, but the faucet is so much cheaper there I would take the risk again (I ordered a plate chiller not knowing they were out of stock...and they didnt tell anyone...and after 2 weeks of asking where my order was, they finally shipped everything but the chiller. I asked for my money back, and they eventually did after a few emails, but wouldnt refund my shipping for the upgrade from the regular stuff to the order including the chiller...it was $3 so I didnt fight it, but it soured me on ever using them again unless necessary).

Anyways, as for the tank, I would call wherever you plan on getting it filled and see how they do it. I know for me, I actually bought "a bottle" in the pool at the welding supply store. I take it in a trade for a new filled one. I never pay for hydro testing and I dont own a specific tank, just a tank. It was like $120 or something like that, which after 1 hydro test, Ive already broken even. Plus fills were cheaper, and they didnt really want to fill a tank I bought. Just something to think about before buying a bottle.

BrewNinja, sorry to hear you aren't doing so hot with KegCowboy. that definitely makes me wanna steer clear and just order from somewhere else for a couple extra bucks that does things well.

Bandit, have you dealt with those guys at draught tech before?

I would think that all regulators should have check valves added to prevent damage, unless they already come supplied with one

slakwhere, I have a draught tech Nitrogen Regulator, Stout Faucet and triple secondary regulators. No issues so far.

Check my Gallery.

Check ebay for stout faucets. I got a new Guinness faucet for $50 with the tap handle. Got a used one with a handle as well for $50, but it came with a Guinness keg coupler, which I sold for $40 :)

The tank is going to be pricey. $100+. Airgas charges $40 for the fill. I would get at least a 40cf tank. Would be comparable to the size of a 10lb CO2 tank.

Back