coffee stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I have a stout going right now and I was thinking of getting a gallon carboy or 2 and making half of it into a coffee stout. For 1 gallon in the secondary how much coffee do you guys suggest adding?
And actual coffe, ground beans, whole beans?

At this point use espresso. Not coffee, not grounds, not beans but pure kick-you-in-the-face espresso. Brew it, cool it and pour it in and mix it around.

So long as you don't have more than 15-20% of the grist as dark roasted grain:

-1/2 oz will be noticeable but mild.
-1 oz will be nice.
-2 oz will be strong and may be enough to affect your sleep.

I once used 10 ozs in a 5 gallon batch... it was strong enough to keep me up at night.

espresso ok, but without a espresso machine how

how about moka pot they are cheap or a french press or your local coffee shop. If you only need 2oz that's one shot which will run you $1.25 at most places

yeah sorry guys I wasnt even thinking...duh just go buy some, anyways anyone else got any input on how much to use for a gallon

mot said:
espresso ok, but without a espresso machine how

Grab a few shots from your local coffee shop. I put 4 shots in a 5 gallon batch and it was a nice amount. Detectable, but not in your face.

Back