Did I just create a whole batch of bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided to move up from Mr. Beer to a beginners kit. I made a Brew House Munich Dark Lager kit. The kit has instructions for 6 gallons, I put it into my 6.5 bucket fermenter with an airlock and quickly realized how important it is to use a blow off tube. After cleaning up the mess I transfered it to a carboy for secondary fermentation. Today when I started the bottling process I followed the instructions and dissolved the provided Dextrose into a cup of water and poured it into my bottling bucket. When I siphoned the beer out of the secondary I realized that I had a little less than 5 gallons of beer. I guess a gallon of it spewed all over my counter during my blowoff tube lesson.

Since I'd already mixed the provided Dextrose (enough for 6 gallons) into the bucket there was no turning back. I pushed ahead and bottled all of it. Came out to 48 12oz bottles with less than an ounce left over.

Have I doomed my bottles to a short lived life as an IED?

Side question: When bottling with my auto-siphon and bottling wand the lines of the siphon kept accumulating bubbles throughout them. As if the beer was already carbonated. I know I shouldn't let air get to my beer when bottling, but is this normal?

What was the amount of priming sugar (dextrose), was it labeled? I normally try to compensate by guesstimating how much beer I have before mixing up my priming sugar solution.

Don't worry about the little air bubbles in the siphon/rack/tube, the biggest concern is excess splashing when transferring to the bottling bucket or bottling.

All in all, I *doubt* you have bottle bombs on your hands but I would suggest stashing them away where they wont make too much of a mess if it does happen.

Answer 1 - not really sure how much did the dextrose weigh?

Answer 2 - (to the side question) There is some disolved CO2 in the beer, how much priming sugar you add actually varries with the temp of the ferment - I forget which way. But it is possible that the air you were seeing was CO2 that you were getting out of solution.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?13705281#tag

According to this calculator, assuming your brew was approx 65 degrees, 5 gallons, 6.7 oz (190 grams) of dextrose would give you about 3.4 volumes of Co2. It's high but I doubt it's bottle bomb high, I would contain them in a cooler just in case but as always: RDWHAHB.

Oh and buy a scale + look at the volume you're bottling next time before mixing it. I buy my corn sugar a few lbs at a time and opt out of getting the corn sugar included in my kits where possible (northern brewer and AHS both give you the option of not getting corn sugar in your kit). Then I just measure out the exact amount I need based on what that calculator says and I can carb to style!

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back