Hello from East Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forkmantis

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

I got a homebrewing kit about 5 years ago, made 3 OK batches, and got distracted for several years.

3 years ago I got married, and a few months ago we bought a new house and moved. My wife questioned the need to move a bunch of empty beer bottles, and I had to convince her I "needed" them. To prove my need for them, I ordered some ingredients and brewed my first batch of beer in several years. Since then, we've brewed 3 more batches together, and have both thoroughly enjoyed both brewing and drinking.

I'm comfortable with the basics, but want to refine my techniques, so I figured I'd lurk around here and learn from you fine folks.

Welcome! My Mom's folks are almost all in or near Sulphur Springs, not too far from Tyler. Ask away!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Rhoobarb: I'll probably start by lurking, since I'm sure most of the questions I have have already been asked by others. I hate asking questions that have already been asked and answered.

EdWort: Yeah, that's a bonus. I didn't find out about it until recently. It was a pleasant surprise. Now if I could only get her to enjoy black coffee!

orfy: Thanks. Yes, I am doing extract kits. I just started my 7th batch this weekend, so I'm still relatively new. I was very happy w/ my 5th batch (Oatmeal Stout), however, and am looking forward to getting better at this.

Welcome from a fellow Texan. That's a great little story. Having a wife that enjoys/encourages brewing is about as good as it gets! :mug:

Rhoobarb said:
If you haven't already, check out John Palmer's How To Brew, free online.

Awesome. Thanks. I will certainly check that out.

I also need to dig out my Joy of Homebrewing book and reread it. I read through it once when I started several years ago, but I wouldn't want to take a pop quiz on it right now.

forkmantis said:
EdWort: Yeah, that's a bonus. I didn't find out about it until recently. It was a pleasant surprise. Now if I could only get her to enjoy black coffee!

I gotcha there. SWMBO and I both drink black coffee (no sweetner, no cream), but she like to NOT be there when I'm brewing, but she's such a sweetheart that she'll say, "I'm going out horseback riding Saturday afternoon, so it may be a good day to brew'.

That'll change when the Brew Hut is built this spring.

Torchiest said:
Welcome from a fellow Texan. That's a great little story. Having a wife that enjoys/encourages brewing is about as good as it gets! :mug:

Yeah, it's awesome to have her support and interest. Rather than "Don't tell me you ordered more beer stuff again!" I get "Did you remember to order ingredients for our next batch?" How can I complain about that?

EdWort: She actually enjoys brew day. We've even discussed making hops-based air fresheners for the house and our cars.

Back