Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting the ingredients today- may swap some old Cascades in there for bittering.

This should get you a very similar beer:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

I brewed this on Thursday for my first all grain batch. I can't wait to bottle it and get it carbonated so I can try it!

I have a question... I friend of mine and I bought ingredients for this recipe. Because the listing for the Extra Light Dry Extract on the website that we bought it from said it was in 3.3 lb packages we bought 3 to split it. In actuality they are 3 lb packages. So we have 9 lb to split. The extract recipe calls for 5 lb of DME and we are going to end up with 4.5 lbs a piece. How do I adjust the rest of the recipe for the lower quantity of DME. Also because of the Centennial shortage we got Columbus hops. Any suggestions for changes because of this?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Used this recipe for a BIAB. Bottled 26 OCT drinking already and it is just a great little beer.
Rave reviews from all. Down to the LHBS for some more ingredients tomorrow.
Thanks for the recipe BM.

I have a PA with a very similar hop shedule except I add 0.5 oz Willamette at 20 min and 5 min. I'll have to try this one. Centennial and Cascade do make an excellent combo!

I know this beer is best fresh, but has anyone drank it say 8-12 weeks after brewing? I'm considering doing 10 gallons this weekend, just to have a backup keg. Might not tap it for a couple of months though.

I brewed this back in may, and I had some last weekend, its still great.

woody4 said:
The extract recipe calls for 5 lb of DME and we are going to end up with 4.5 lbs... How do I adjust the rest of the recipe for the lower quantity of DME.
Also because of the Centennial shortage we got Columbus hops. Any suggestions for changes because of this?

Plug your actual ingredients into some brewing software; hopville is free on the web.
Then make the volume, ABV & IBUs match the OP.
in other words, your hops might be
more or less bitter, so you simply adjust quantity/timing.
Since the beer is already low in ABV, having less extract of course means it will be even lower, so if it were me, i'd make 4.5 or so gallons, rather than the 5g listed.
good luck!

I brewed this a few weeks ago, it has been sitting in the keg priming for about 2 weeks now and has just been move to the fridge to get ready to drink. Last night I gave the wife a sample of it which was warm and flat (keg was at 20 PSI and the sample poured through my short bottling wand!) and she said it tasted better than the commercial lager she had just finished and would actually prefer to drink it (even like that) over the chilled and carbed commercial!
Thanks BM!

I just brewed this. I doubled all of the hop additions because beer tools doesn't fix the IBUs for doing partial boils, and I am only boiling 3 gallons.

I figured at the worst it will be a little hoppier, which isnt a problem for me.

About to order the ingredients to make this one again however i wanted to up the body a little bit... any suggestions? I am an extract brewer...

What grains did you steep last time, just carapils? If so steep .5 lb light crystal 10l too.

I've now taken this recipe to a home brew day, a beer club, and served it to some friends. seems to be going over quite well!

I just brewed the 5 gallon recipe and followed Biermuncher's directions exactly. I hit the mash temp perfectly and OG was 1040. I pitched the Nottingham yeast and within 1 hour had activity in the airlock and this continued WILDLY for almost 2 days and then it suddenly stopped. Temperature stayed at 69* during this time. I know I should probably just sit back and be patient but I can't help but wonder as this is the first time I have had a ferment quite this active and for such a short period of time, but this is my first experience with this yeast strain. Has anyone else had this ferment so quickly ? Unless one of the experts with this recipe / yeast can give me any better suggestions, my plan is to just wait until day 7 in the fermenter and then take a hydrometer reading. So what do you think ?

Has anyone else had this ferment so quickly ? Unless one of the experts with this recipe / yeast can give me any better suggestions, my plan is to just wait until day 7 in the fermenter and then take a hydrometer reading. So what do you think ?

The beer is low OG. It could be done fermenting.
You can take a hydro reading whenever, but I wouldn't move it into keg/bottles until day 10. It needs to condition.

In the 2 times I've made this beer I've let it sit in primary for over 20 days, then rack to keg. BM says it's a quick turnaround brew but sometimes my schedule doesn't allow me to follow the timetable... anyway letting it sit longer in primary doesn't hurt anything and I've been very satisfied with the results. My biggest problem is being patient enough once I get it into keg to wait for it to fully carbonate.

...my plan is to just wait until day 7 in the fermenter and then take a hydrometer reading. So what do you think ?

Notty is a fast and furious yeast. It would make quick work of this low gravity recipe. Even on these lighter beers though, I like a minimum 10 days in the primary and then rack to a clearing vessel (secondary) with gelatin for 3 days.

My LHBS converted this recipe to a partial mash and gave me wayyyy to much malt extract... So the starting sugar was very high...

The beer is OK. However I would like to taste more aromatic hops and less bitterness... How do I accomplish this next time?

Guys, what did I do wrong? I did my first 5 gallon batch of this recipe, and the only modification I did was 7.5lbs of 2 row, not the called 7lbs. My pre-boil OG is 1.045, yikes. I'm guessing my post boil OG will be 1.051'ish on my system. Obviously this beer won't be to spec, but will it be a lot more malty now? I am sticking to the original hop schedule.

I thought I had my system down, and the first lower gravity beer I make, I get a crazy efficiency, ugh.

TIA,
justin

I've gotten higher than typical efficiency from my batches of this as well; I actually have to add a good 5-7% to my efficiency estimate when I do this now.

That said, my batches that have ended up high have still turned out good; if you're worried about heavy malt, try dryhopping with an ounce or so of a relatively mild variety. Or try thinning it out with some added water, but I'd go with the hops myself.

Thanks smagee for the advice. So this doesn't make sense to me, I use a calibrated refractometer and here are my numbers...

1st gravity - 1.069
2nd gravity - 1.032
preboil OG - 1.045
postboil OG - 1.047

WTF! I am actually happy with the 1.047 SG as I thought I was going to be around 1.053 or so. I boiled from 6.5 gallons to 5.3 gallons and only gained that much? I must have had too many HB's last night.

Its my first post here... Thanks all for incredible recipes... This community is amazing!

I have a question...
I dont have a keg, so I'm going to bottle the beer...
After Primary Fermentation, Is it possible to bottle the beer, make the primming and make the second fermentation in the bottle ?

Its my first beer, so I'm a little bit lost !

There's no need to secondary this beer. I would recommend a minimum 3 week primary fermentation before you bottle though. It will "secondary" in your bottles fine.

There's no need to secondary this beer. I would recommend a minimum 3 week primary fermentation before you bottle though. It will "secondary" in your bottles fine.

Thanks !
Another basic question, this recipe does not require a mash-out? Just a single infusion (no mash out) ?

I didn't mash out the 3 times I made this. Came out great every time with just a single infusion mash @ 150 and sparged with 165 degree water.

Thanks !
Another basic question, this recipe does not require a mash-out? Just a single infusion (no mash out) ?

No recipe (that I've come across) really "requires" a mashout; it's just another step you *can* take. I never employ a mashout, instead favoring a double batch-sparge. It all depends on your preference and set of equipment. If you wish to do a mashout, you can always do so.

We just brewed up 5 gal of this over the weekend, and now it's bubbling away quite merrily at 65F. Er....except we did the partial recipe and accidentally put in an extra pound of DME. We're planning on splitting this into five one-gallon jugs after the primary and doing five separate "secondaries", four of them with different flavorings. We're thinking oak, pecan, and dry hopping. Any suggestions for the fourth? Any reasons those I've mentioned won't work with this beer?

Can anyone point me a good substitute to Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) ? I cant find that one around here...

I have :
MALTE CARA 50 – BELGIUM 49,5 EBC
MUNICH

And I could buy :
Carahell (12,7 EBC)

Or maybe another ?

Can anyone point me a good substitute to Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) ? I cant find that one around here...

I have :
MALTE CARA 50 – BELGIUM 49,5 EBC
MUNICH

And I could buy :
Carahell (12,7 EBC)

Or maybe another ?

Of those two Carahell would be your better choice to match the SRM. Carahell (according to Weyermann) usually comes in around 8-12 L, but at 12.7 EBC you'll get around 6 L. Better than the Cara 50.

Notty is a fast and furious yeast. It would make quick work of this low gravity recipe. Even on these lighter beers though, I like a minimum 10 days in the primary and then rack to a clearing vessel (secondary) with gelatin for 3 days.

Ok, I worried for nothing. I just bottled this today and the FG was 1.004. You're right...those are some hungry yeast ! The sample was great. Can't wait to try it once it's carbonated. Thanks Biermuncher for all your helpful comments through this thread.

I just had my 1st official BM CB tonight. When I first brewed this I made a 3 gal batch but didn't have a very accurate scale and the bitterness was out of control. Tasted like about 50+ IBU In the SG sample. After some thought I did another 2.5 gal the next day with almost no hops.

Fermented both with S-04 (which absolutely shredded this beer!) and let it primary for 3 weeks, then blended the two at bottling time...

Short version--HOLY COW DO I LOVE THIS BEER!!!! I usually go for big IPAs, stouts, etc., but this may just be my new session beer. The S-04 finished clean, the bitterness is enough to tickle the palate, and the hint of centennial citrus balances the malty, trace-of-yeast flavor just perfectly.

Thanks for the recipe, Biermuncher!! I'm calling it Biermuncher's 2011 CB-4. Even made labels. When I get to my regular computer I'll post one for ya!

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

special blend brew. I like it. :mug:

So here's the label. I'm not much of an artist, but I like to label my beers to keep 'em straight.
CB4.jpg

Bier, I have a quick question. I'm making your beer this weekend. I don't readily have access to the danstar nottingham. I have everything else on hand. I have a slant of just about every liquid yeast imaginable. Without doing your recipe an injustice, is there any liquid yeast strain you would suggest to get the same desirable taste and flavors?

Latest posts

Back