Dry Hopping Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLTalpos

Reaction score
Thoughts on using a dry hopping schedule? I usually just add all the hops when I transfer to secondary and leave them in until bottling time. I've read about other people placing different amounts in over several weeks, but because it's not boiling I've never understood the reason behind staggering the hop additions?

Generally speaking, dry hopping lasts from about 7 days to 14 days. Less than that and you could be missing out, any more and you run the risk of grassy aromas. I usually dry hop for about 10 days. As for staggering additions, I'm not sure of the chemistry behind it. However, I did try it the first time I made what has become my house pale ale, and it was awesome, so I haven't changed the dry hop schedule.

I have an Imperial IPA I will be transfering to secondary (and potentially dry hopping) in 2-3 days. I have about 1 oz. each of three different hop varieties. Two are in pellet form and the third is whole hops. I was planning on just tossing them in and leaving them until I decide to bottle (~1 month), but I don't want a horrible grassy off-flavor. Do you suggest adding them towards the end of secondary to minimize the grassy flavor? Or should I just chance it? I know with pellets you can't really remove them because they dissolve.

ideally you want to dry hop as late as possible to retain as much aroma as possible.

I have been dry hopping for years, its is my favorite hop addition. I read an article from New Belgium brewing. They were discussing dry hop times. They could discern no difference between six(6) hours (thats right, HOURS) of dry hopping and two(2) weeks! I always assumed that the longer the hops are exposed to the brew, the more intense hop flavor you get. I always waited at least a week before bottling (after pri. ferment) to get that amazing flavor from the hops. Now, I have a keg system and I dry hop in the keg after it is carbonated, and it really does not take as long as you would think for the hop flavor to come around. I really start to taste a difference after about 12 hours, and thats about as good as it gets. Also, the hops usually stay in the keg for weeks and I have not experienced any off or overly intense hop flavors/ aromas. If anything the hop flavors start to subside after a few weeks... I just add more hops!
I have over dry hopped. By reading a recipe wrong, I doubled the bill and it was pretty gross! I never thought I could use too many hops! I stick with about a half ounce/ 5 gallons.... Hope this helps. Cheers.

I really like to dry hop almost every beer. I recently used 1oz Chinook 1 oz Amarillo in a 5gal extract pale ale and it turned out excellent! I usually dry hop for 4-6 days. Usually 10 in primary depending and 4 in secondary on dry hops! I don't know if I am getting the full potential or not but it seems to be working well! Recently took home 3rd place in Cincinnati American Ale Home Brew Competiton in the IPA category. It was Amarillo Red's Rye PA , It had 3 oz Amarillo in the dry for only 4 days and it has a huge nose on it. Hope my input helps, happy brewing.

:mug:

Back