Neem Oil on Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rniles

Reaction score
I can't find anything definitive about using Neem oil on hops ...bits and pieces suggesting that you do so (but nothing authoritative) and a few posts saying that you shouldn't because it will effect the flavour of the hops (but sulfur is commonly used for powdery mildew (PM) and have you smelled that stuff!?)

I want to use it for protection against PM and also against aphids.

Anybody have any information on whether or not you should use Neem oil on hops ..do you use Neem oil on hops? Or if so, have you noticed any problems?

Use as directed for vegetables, usually you want to wait a few days to a week before you harvest with any chemical. I'm sure after a certain amount of time the residual would wear off.

I used neem oil earlier this season on my hop plants to keep the bugs away from the bines as they were starting their climb. I don't know if I'd use any chemical on them now though, if they are starting to form cones. The oil probably would dissipate over time, but I don't know how long it would take. I wouldn't want to risk off flavors in the beer.

as far as potential harm to you, it is used in cooking and as a folk medicine from what i've read. but it does have a very... distinct smell to it that i know i wouldn't want in my beer. watch out, though. when i went to buy it i had a hard time finding the ready to use without additives such as pyrethrins.

Once you get close to harvest I would stop with the neem sprays. It is not doing too much anyways, and that stuff stinks!!

Seems to be working on the Japanese Beetles. I've been alternating between Malathion and Neem Oil every other week. Don't know about the effect on the hops, will find out this year.

Latest posts

Back