racking carbed beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWMK2

Reaction score
i have a lot of orange peel that is getting stuck in the dip tube due to bad racking from the primary. problem is the beer is carbed already, is there anyway to decarb the beer enough to rack it from one keg to another without oxidizing it?

If you open the pressure release valve and lock it open it the carbonation will come down although this takes a while. You can transfer it carbonated. The trick is keeping the new keg cold, the lines cold and having some back pressure at the receiving keg so all the CO2 dosen't come out of solution. You will still have some foaming but it really shouldn't be that bad. I have done it with commerical beers that I have transferred from Sanke kegs to corny kegs.

If it is the orange peel that is affecting this I would suggest pulling the dip tube out and putting a nylon hop sack or paint strainer on the end of it. This will act as a coarse filter and keep the dip tube open while you transfer.

I had this same problem with dry hopping. I just racked to my bottling bucket, the back to the keg after removing the hops. I worked fine, just take it slow.

Back