HBT - help convince me on new kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezy

Reaction score
I'm debating which way to go for a new kegerator, right now I have a old 1-tap Haier kegerator that's about on it's last leg. I'm currently fermenting in a 9cf freezer that I can put two batches in at a time so looking for something to have room for 3-4 kegs.

I was thinking about picking up another freezer and going with a keezer build for the new kegerator, but now I'm considering going with the standup fridge. Figure I'll need a place for hop storage eventually so I'm not taking over the food freezer (happy wife, happy life right?) so leaning toward the converted fridge now.

If any of you are vacuum sealing your hops, what temps do you keep them? In keezer or freezer?

Chime in HBT, I need some feedback to help me decide. Thanks as always!

FWIW - If I had to build another kegerator, I'd SERIOUSLY consider doing a keezer. They are way cheaper to start with, and don't lose as much cold when you open them.

A lot of fridges will hold up to 4 kegs, but it's PITA to move them around if you have to. The hardest part about a keezer is building the collar, which is no big deal IMO, plus the fact that you have to lift kegs over the side to get them in and out. Another no biggie for me.

What I like about my fridge kegerator is that I can fill the door full of bottles of craft beer or homebrew too. But messing with the kegs is much more difficult IMO. Much easier running lines and stuff in a keezer.

One other concern is the likelyhood of someone putting stuff on the top of the kegerator and making it inconvenient to get into it...

I just did a kegerator a couple weeks ago. It was the easiest "build" project I have ever had. Realistically, it involves getting a 1" holesaw and drilling holes through the door/side of the fridge and putting in the shanks and faucets and hooking it up. No collar to build for a freezer conversion, no extra insulation to install. I can easily get 4 kegs in the kegerator. I would actually wager I could get 6 in there easily. But I have no plans to go for a 6 tap setup. I wouldn't drink that much beer in probably over 3 months.

Plus, you can use the freezer for extra food that you can't fit in the kitchen freezer. You could also move your beer mugs into the freezer so you always have a nice ice cold mug to pour into, freeing up some cupboard space. :)

I built a small kegerator a few months ago with a coffin box on top and though I love it, before long I'm going to sell it to make a keezer. I "need" room for more than 2 kegs!

B

Latest posts

Back