Forced to condition longer, I guess...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So after about 6 weeks of planning, buying, brewing, building, blah, blah, blah, the day has come to put the first 2 brews into the 6 tap setup I've built. After a small fortune and countless hours trying to forsee and prevent any issues, I thought I was ready.
I designed the system to use 2 - 5lb co2 tanks (3 kegs per tank), with splitters and shutoffs so that if one tank ran out I could run all 6 from one tank or the other. I even put an extra tee and shutoff in between the two tanks that runs outside the freezer as I had an old 20lb co2 tank I planned to refill and could easily connect outside the freezer should both tanks run out. The only part I lacked was the second 5lb co2 tank/regulator, but no big deal as I have one 5lb co2 tank from my old kegerator, and an old 20lb tank that just need refilled.
I grab my tanks and am just about to run up to the paintball store for a refill and it hits me: How long has it been since you filled this tank? I wonder if the hydrotest is still good? Well, the 5 lb is from 2002 so it'll have to be tested before I can fill it. The 20lb is from 1980, last tested in 1986. Ahhhhhh! None of the local hydrotest facilities that I know of are open on weekends, so it looks like the brew will get a little extra conditioning time.
Very frustrating after weeks of planning and building to have something so simple bring it to a halt.

some places dont even check...they are supposed to but many are lazy....its always worth a shot

I have a tank that expired in 2000, no one has said anything. The tank paint is still in good condition. I am sure if it was rusted someone might check and say something. If the tank looks good I wouldn't worry.

Find a place that does exchanges and hope they dont check. Out of all the times I've filled my CO2 tank, its been checked all of twice.

The place that I get mine filled is also a hydro station, they always check. My tanks are old 15 lb. fire extinguishers. One has a first date of 1956 (the year I was born). :)

Back