Rye beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are using a RIMS system so we also use rice hulls but I remember watching the guys at Basic Brewing do a 100% wheat beer with BIAB. Before we got our RIMS we would have liked to do BIAB but nobody had figured that out yet! The only negative with BIAB is you carry over a lot of Trub to the fermenter. Not a huge deal, just that it takes away some head space for fermentation, depending on what you're fermenting in. If you could run the wort through a screen first, and maybe you do that, I could see that helping a lot.:mug:

I've heard the trub issue but I don't really see a difference. I don't mill finer if I'm doing BIAB and I use very fine voile bags from Wilserbrewer. I also use his hop bags no matter how I'm brewing. So, I really don't see more trub.

I used to BIAB with paint strainers and a corona mill and I had wayyyyy more!

My efficiency is between 77-85% depending on style ...and btw..back on topic, I also love rye beers!

Cheers!

Back