RIMS pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shushikiary

Reaction score
Hello, I'm in the process of doing the research to put together a RIMS system for all grain brewing and I have a few questions about pumps.

I've done a few hours of searching on pumps on the forums and it seems most people use a march or LG mag driven pump, and then try to control the flow with either a servo controlled ball valve or other restriction methods after the pump (given its mag drive, that's the way you're supposed to do it, or so I understand).

My question is, wouldnt it be much easier to use a non mag driven pump that is DC so you can PWM control it to control the flow? (perhaps this also means it would need to be self priming?)

Could you suggest some DC non mag driven pumps I could use for this? I also need a decent flow rate, I'd like to be able to pump a decent amount of almost boiling water for mash infusions if I want to do super fast step mashing (without having to add the boiling water by hand, I'd pump it out of the HLT, if the RIMS system cant step mash as fast as I'd like (per other threads I've read)).

My knowledge of pumps is low :(, the electronics I can do, but I dont know much of anything about pumps.

thanks!

IMO it would easier to use a mag drive pump and control the flow with valves as most do, than to vary the pump speed with PWM. A mag drive pump is fully capable of pumping at a high flow rate. Some have greater flow rates than others, so you need to check the specs before buying. You should be able to easily google up some non-mag drive pumps, but be sure they can handle the hight temperatures.

Latest posts

Back