So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing Jamil Z's hefeweizen for an annual late winter party that may or may not go on this year. If the party doesn't happen, then I've just gotten a great addition to my pipeline!

Was going to brew a Slightly modified version of NB's Kiwi IPA, and another Kit that I have last weekend...

BUUUUT..... Saturday went out and bought a new 12 Gallon Aluminum Pot to replace my 7 Gal one that always boiled over... so I decide to do a Test Boil and condition my new pot.... Well it was about 4 C here in Calgary, and my poor little turkey fryer burned for almost 2 hours and only got to about 90C (then I ran out of propane)

Sooo brewing is on hold till its warmer or I clear up the Credit Card enough for a new burner!

Look into getting a heat stick, I made mine. I basically fill my pot with 5 gallons of water @ 40 degrees insert heat stick, go to the LHBS come back and the water is at about 160 degrees. I love it! dont know how much money I save but I get more brews per bottle of propane

A minor variation on my American Brown to commemorate and christen our new LeMon's race car(?)...Tarrytown Rusty Brown in memory of the GM facility that had to be closed in shame for producing this turd of an automobile. Should be served in a clear plastic cup and garnished with plastic shavings and iron oxide. Possibly served from an incredibly plush burgundy crushed velvet pillow that smells of Cheeros and grandpa farts.

Bottling Caramel Amber Ale on Friday and brewing Centennial Blonde on Saturday or Sunday, Working on the pipeline. Have Cascade Pale Ale one week into fermentation.

Testing a my own all-grain recipe for an IPA on Sunday with a buddy of mine who does BIAB. Showing him how easy an AG is to convince him to take it on.

Tale of two pales.

10 lbs Vienna, 10 lbs 2-row, 4 oz C40L, 4 oz Carapils --> 12 gallons to fermenters (two boils producing 6 gal each)

MosAma been Hoppin' --> 3.75 oz total each Mosaic/Amarillo; equal additions @ 15, 10, 5, whirlpool, dry hop

Simcoe-Lemon Drop --> 2.5 mL hop extract @ 60 mins, 3 oz Simcoe, 4 oz Lemon Drop total; additions @ 15, 10, 5, whirlpool, dry hop

Doing a BIAB of Yooper's house pale ale tomorrow morning. It'll be just a 2.5 gallon batch on the stovetop. Not a big fan of sitting in an unheated garage, so bringing the brewing operation indoors.

In the a.m. Brewing the base of a raspberry wheat for the swmbo. Love brew day! I get all excited the night before!

Got to keg an IPA I dry hopped a little over a week ago and am in the process now of getting everything together for a little lighter version of a pale ale I'm going to brew tomorrow. I did a smash a few months back using just pale malt and Tettnanger hops. I'm going with a similar recipe this time, only adding a little Crystal 60 and some leftover Marris Otter I had lying around.

The SMASH was great and easy drinking, but ultimately was lacking the body and a little complexity that I enjoy from my homebrews. I don't want to venture off the original recipe too much though, as it seemed like a good base to build a beer from.

Going to rack my gingerbread version of Yooper's Oatmeal Stout. If it looks clear enough, I'll run to the LHBS and get some caps and bottle it. I could let it sit in tertiary a couple of days, though.

If I get my real life responsibilities taken care of I will do a Coffee Stout today. If I run out of time it will wait till tomorrow.

Making a apa and the cold weather plus my mom calling which distracted me zapped the temp from my mlt while I was preheating with strike water. So I was shooting for 152 and ended up at 148 after heating up an extra gal of water giving me a real thin 1.75qt/lb mash. I had to rename this one bone dry as I can't wait to see what my 2l starter of washed wlp001 is going to do to this. I may have to rig a blowoff.

You should always rig a blowoff no matter what. Unless you want to paint the ceilings beer colored. There's nothing wrong with an APA mashed at 148 though, you might think it's your best batch ever. Dry is good when you're trying to showcase hops.

Brewed a fresh squeezed IPA clone yesterday. Halfway considering brewing my india red ale today.

Met a fellow brewer from my area on Craigtube's Friday broadcast and we met up at his place to brew together on Saturday. Went to his LHBS and got ingredients to brew "Drop Kick Nate" (all grain). Actually it was a variation of that as we substituted one of the hop additions.

Went back to his place and the brewing commenced. Brew went well as he is very experienced and organized. I took along some of my brews to share while brewing and we tried each other's brews. His were very nice and he had good things to say about mine as well.

All in all it was a great brew day ! Good beer, and great company.

As it turns out it was his one year anniversary of his retirement therefore this brew was named "Freedom" which was the first thing he thought of when we were kicking around the idea of naming it something related to his retirement anniversary.

Jeff, if you happen to read this.
Thank you for the invite and the hospitality. It was a pleasure to meet you and brew with you.

P.S. It was an absolute pleasure to meet your wife as well. Please tell her that the homemade soup she sent home with me for my sick wife was awesome. We both loved it !

Cheers !
:mug:

I am coming to boil now on an Oud Bruin wort to get pitched on an ECY Flemish Ale cake. I kegged the Flanders Red that's been sitting on it for the last year. It's not very sour, but has a lot of character. Certainly more interesting than the Roeselare Red I have tapped now. Not that that one isbad, I just prefer my sours to be sour ;) The ECY Red will sit another 6 months or so before tapping.

I might also start a sour mash for another pitch on TYB Saison Brett blend cake I have.

Back