Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaviao

Reaction score
Okay so I've been looking through the recipes on this site and on brewtoad.com, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for...

cue U2 :ban:

Anyway....

I'm looking for a 2 gallon extract Blue Moon clone recipe. I would also be happy with one for Bells Oberon, again 2 gallon extract.

Thanks!

Is it the scale of the recipe or the ingredients you haven't been satisfied with? You won't find too many recipes for 2 gallons online, but if you find a recipe you like that's for 5, scaling it down shouldn't be too hard.

Is it the scale of the recipe or the ingredients you haven't been satisfied with? You won't find too many recipes for 2 gallons online, but if you find a recipe you like that's for 5, scaling it down shouldn't be too hard.

Got it, that does help. Are there any tricks to scaling down a recipe? Or is it just as I would imagine - let's say a 5 gallon batch recipe calls for 1 oz of hops so for the 2 gallon batch I would only use like .40 oz.

if you are given a 5 gallon batch divide the amount (weight) of ingredients by 5 and then multiply by 2 for everything from grains to extract to hops, recipes are scalable up or down in finished volume.

Got it, that does help. Are there any tricks to scaling down a recipe? Or is it just as I would imagine - let's say a 5 gallon batch recipe calls for 1 oz of hops so for the 2 gallon batch I would only use like .40 oz.

It's absolutely perfect linear scale. I brew 2 gallon batches and I've never in my entire life seen a 2 gallon recipe for *anything*. I've scaled *every* time.

Tips: If your scale is digital and you can use metric to measure .4 oz of hops in grams. Grams is more accurate. If recipes give AA% use that to measure the bittering hops. If your recipe *doesn't* your hops are just an estimate anyway as each batch has a different AA percentage anyway. Err, upward on yeast. Accuracy for extract and/or grain and/or water (i.e. anything *but* hops and yeast) is not very important.
if you are given a 5 gallon batch divide the amount (weight) of ingredients by 5 and then multiply by 2 for everything from grains to extract to hops, recipes are scalable up or down in finished volume.

... or multiply by 4 and divide by 10. Or divide in half and add 1/4. Or convert from oz to tenths of lbs and divide in half. Or ...

Back