boiling to reach SG... help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldbrew

Reaction score
i am brewing my first all grain batch, a scottish wee heavy
i mashed at 158 with 4.5gal
i sparged at 170 with 5gal
before the boil i took a reading and hit 1.010 perfectly (what i was told to shoot for)

now, almost two hours after the boil started, im just now hitting 1.020
but my goal is 1.083!

what the hell went wrong and what do i do?

This doesn't sound right. 1.010 is way too low for a pre boil gravity. More information is needed. what grains and how much, mash time.

NBs directions say: stop sparging once you have collected an adequate amount of wort, or when the runoff reaches a specific gravity of 1.008-1.012.

i did a mash of one hour at 158F

here are the ingredients:

Fermentables

14 lbs. Simpsons Golden Promise
0.5 lbs. Simpsons Crystal
0.375 lbs. Dingemans Biscuit
0.125 lbs. Simpson's Roasted Barley
Boil Additions

1 oz. Brewer's Gold (60 min)
If you choose dry yeast

Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast. Optimum temperature: 57-70° F.
If you choose liquid yeast

Wyeast #1728 Scottish Ale Yeast. Optimum temperature: 55-70° F.

NBs directions say: stop sparging once you have collected an adequate amount of wort, or when the runoff reaches a specific gravity of 1.008-1.012.
It means the run off. Like take a sample jar full of run off, if that SMALL amount is 1010 then stop you've extracted all sugars you're going to get. Not until the final boil volume is 1010 . Is there a Smiley in where where the little guys smacks his forehead?
How much pre-boil volume did you end up with? 100 Gallons?

A recipe of 14 lbs of Pale 2-r alone would require a batch size of 30 to hit 10.13

The runoff. He means when the runoff reaches 1.010. After everything has been rinsed and you are draining very light wort.

Stupid question but did you crush the grain?

They're talking about stopping the sparge when the gravity of your sparge drops to 1.010 - not the combined wort. If the gravity of your 9.5 gallons of combined wort was only 1.010 then something is seriously wrong efficiency wise. Is your thermometer accurate?

6 to 7 gallons sounds about right for what you should collect in your boil. You should lose 0.75-1.5 gallons an hour boiling depending on the surface area of your kettle. You should look to finish with 5.5 gallons before chilling to account for losses.

What did you actually collect in your boil and what did you end up with after chilling?

I would love an update baldbrew! posting when things dont work out really helps others learn ALOT from your experience.

You say "chill this ****ty 1.032 and call it a day"; what temperature was the reading taken at?

If youre taking a hydrometer reading on hot wort and not adjusting due to the high temp then thats whats up i think.

Back