2nd brew, tried my best to ruin it...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarobe01

Reaction score
I made my second batch last night and everything was going fine until it came time to pitch. Then everything that could go wrong did… I forgot my flameout hops addition until the wort was about 130F, I dropped my digital thermometer (possible contamination) into the cooled wort. The grain bag I put in the FV to strain the wort got clogged up and had to squeeze it to get the wort out. I knocked my siphon hose out of the fermenting bucket and lost a couple beers worth to my kitchen floor and without thinking picked it up and put it back in possibly contaminating (again) my wort. When I finally gave up on siphoning I knocked my grain bag into the wort and had to reach in and retrieve it. I went ahead and pitched my yeast and this morning it was showing signs of fermenting but in retrospect I think I should have poured everything back in to my brew kettle and reboiled it to kill any nasties I may have picked up. Hope this works out but at this point I think it’ll be a miracle if I don’t get an infection.

Don't worry, relax and have a homebrew... wait three weeks.... blah blah blah

Hopefully it turns out ok :mug:

haha. Sounds like a brew day nightmare. Try to plan out every step of your brew day, I usually just write myself up a procedure for each batch with check boxes to check off when I do them, keeps me on schedule so I don't forget anything.

I hope it turns out for you. Seems it's actually very hard to infect your beer as long as the yeast takes off pretty fast.

Back