2 Year Old Extract Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sittingturbo

Reaction score
So, I was moving some stuff around the apartment about 2 weeks ago and found the "William's Brewing - Summer Time Ale Kit" which I bought, I would assume about 2 years ago. I did a little research to check the shelf life of LME, which seemed to be well under 2 years. But I did find a note on the Williams brewing site which said they have had several customers brew kits up to 3 years later.

So I wrote the company and told them my plan to brew this kit, and was interested what the hops were so I could buy more from my local store, and still stay true to the kit. Instead of telling me the variety and weight, they simply sent me replacement hops for free. Man I love good customer service!

So this brew only cost me 6 bucks for the White Label - Pacific Ale yeast, and my time. Which of course I don't mind, I love brewing.

So anyway, the only issue I have is, this beer when the malt extract is fresh is very very pale in color... My batch, is very very dark! Like dark porter/stout color.

So my question is, physically, what attributed to the much darker color... I am not looking for answers like "It's 2 years old extract, its no good!"

I'm looking for some sort of a scientific explanation. Anyone know?

The truth of the matter is, the older the extract the darker it gets...It's really as simple as that. Especially if it is extract in a can...it may also take on some metallic tastes from it as well...I think the process is similiar to metal oxydizing over time...

I found this on the Cooper's website...

Liquid malt extract darkens over time and develops toffee/molasses like aromas. This process is accelerated when temperature is increased. This is not such a bad thing with intentionally dark brews but may be undesirable with lighter styles.

You were smart using fresher hops and yeast though...

Interesting, thank you for your response. So I presume I can expect some toffee like flavors in the finished product. I am about to test my gravity to determine if it has reached TG.

sittingturbo said:
Interesting, thank you for your response. So I presume I can expect some toffee like flavors in the finished product. I am about to test my gravity to determine if it has reached TG.

If they exist it would be more noticable in a lighter as opposed to a darker beer....Methinks since LME is really just a sugar syrup (that's the point of brewing...converting the starches from grain into sugars, then fermenting the sugar syrup), as it ages is condenses and carmalizes, hence the darker color and toffee like flavors...Think treacle or Lyle's Golden Syrup.

It may actually be like having a belgian tripple, it may be a nice flavor, if you like toffee....I would probably enjoy it, though.

Just checked, gravity is still at 1.022 taste is a little yeast since it's still doing its thing. And the color when out of the fermenter is a deep amber/brownish. Looks great.

just brewed a Williams german wheat kit that had been in my fridge for about two years or more. replaced the yeast of course, but used all the other ingredients. it came out fine, tried some steeping grains to darken and flavor, but i think the color came out pretty close to usual anyway- so i don't think the age had any effect on the extract itself as far as coloring goes. but it was refrigerated the whole time as well (i know, long time in fridge, but i just never had the opportunity to brew til i moved).

williams has great customer service, and i have always been please with their kits.

Latest posts

Back