Too Much Chocolate In My Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveLSU75

Reaction score
I added a 10 oz can of cocoa to my five gallon batch of milk stout and think I put too much in. I just tried a sample and the cocoa flavor was overpowering and very, very thick tasting.

It's only been in the fermenter for a few days and has pretty much finished fermentation. Is there anything I can add/do that will trim down the cocoa and thickness of the beer?

I brewed a chocolate stout with 8oz of cocoa about a month ago and it took a couple of weeks for things to settle. When I finally transferred to a keg most of the cocoa remained in the bottom of the carboy along with the yeast cake. The beer had a nice chocolate after taste and it was not overwhelming at all.

I suspect yours hasn't had enough time to settle or mellow out yet and that it's still far too early to be making a final determination on the flavor.

I brewed a chocolate stout with 8oz of cocoa about a month ago and it took a couple of weeks for things to settle. When I finally transferred to a keg most of the cocoa remained in the bottom of the carboy along with the yeast cake. The beer had a nice chocolate after taste and it was not overwhelming at all.

I suspect yours hasn't had enough time to settle or mellow out yet and that it's still far too early to be making a final determination on the flavor.

8oz into the primary?? boil?? was it a 10gallon batch??

Making a Chocholate Cream Stout tonight for the 2nd time. Need to get some more chocho flavor it it.....

Sorry, I added the 8 oz. of cocoa to the last 10-mins of the boil. It was a 5-gallon batch. Most of the cocoa settled to the bottom of the carboy by the time it was ready for kegging.

You probably just need to give it a bit more time. I recently used 8oz of cocoa powder for a 5 gallon batch of milk stout. I had the same problem, the beer was thick and overly chocolatey at first. You just need to give it time to settle. A month later, the cocoa has settled to the bottom (like a previous poster mentioned) and the beer is fantastic.

Back