Before bottling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_ChiZ

Reaction score
I have my K-Meta and Sorbate ready to go. My question is this:

How much of each should i use per gallon? AND how long after you add the stabilizers should you wait until bottling? Thanks!

I have my K-Meta and Sorbate ready to go. My question is this:

How much of each should i use per gallon? AND how long after you add the stabilizers should you wait until bottling? Thanks!

I don't like the taste of sorbate, so I wouldn't use it unless I was sweetening.

If you're not sweetening the mead, then you can use one campden tablet per gallon (or 1/4 teaspoon of the powder dissolved in some water for 5 gallons), and bottle right away.

If you're sweetening, use the same amount of sulfite/campden and add 1/2 teaspoon of sorbate per gallon to the water. Rack the mead into it, wait three days. Then sweeten to taste, wait about three days to make sure it isn't going to restart fermentation, and then bottle.

If you're not sweetening the mead, then you can use one campden tablet per gallon (or 1/4 teaspoon of the powder dissolved in some water for 5 gallons), and bottle right away.

Thanks for the quick reply! How much of the powder for a 1 gallon batch?

Back