Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried a new contender this weekend. Goose Island Dunkel Buck. It was a brewpub-only offering. They listed it as a dunkelweizen, but it seemed completely off-style. The color was about right, but the flavor was thin and vaguely metallic, with hardly any banana/clove esters. Also, it smelled like they dry-hopped with moldy gym socks.

I gave them a fair chance in spite of being owned by the "Evil Empire" (and everything else I tried was decent to good), but sweet Jeebus, that one was bad. I didn't see any other horrible reactions to it online--aside from just calling it boring--so the keg must have been going bad.

I tried a new contender this weekend. Goose Island Dunkel Buck. It was a brewpub-only offering. They listed it as a dunkelweizen, but it seemed completely off-style. The color was about right, but the flavor was thin and vaguely metallic, with hardly any banana/clove esters. Also, it smelled like they dry-hopped with moldy gym socks.

I gave them a fair chance in spite of being owned by the "Evil Empire" (and everything else I tried was decent to good), but sweet Jeebus, that one was bad. I didn't see any other horrible reactions to it online--aside from just calling it boring--so the keg must have been going bad.

That's bad, you can fix a bad recipe, even a bad idea, but once they go lax on tap hygiene, there usually is a fast downfall ahead....

I had my new worst beer last night. I figured I'd give Blue Moon's white IPA a chance and not write it off just because it's Blue Moon, never again... Just nasty, no discernible hop flavor, fake orange/citrus taste, overly strong wheaty flavor.

As much as i HATE to admit it... Ballast Point - Indra Kunindra. its an "inda export stout" brewed with Curry and spices. I LOVE almost everything BP does but this was a dumper. BAAAAAAD

Heidelberg (if I am spelling it right) is without a doubt the worst beer I ever had. Bought a 12 pack for 6 bucks in 1991. By 1992, the 12 pack, less one beer each stop, had passed through 5 different bachelor pads. It may still be floating around somewhere waiting for a new rube to take a swig.

Worst commercial beer I have ever had that was a commercial craft beer was by far parallel 49's Lil Red... They're a decent brewery out in Vancouver Canada, but holy crapola was that beer bad. Tasted like you drank the juice of maraschino cherries that someone had puked up then refrigerated. God awful beer!

CUB300.jpg
85746.jpg

suppose to be a lager,taste there isn't any..even the mates spit it out when offer a sample..

As much as i HATE to admit it... Ballast Point - Indra Kunindra. its an "inda export stout" brewed with Curry and spices. I LOVE almost everything BP does but this was a dumper. BAAAAAAD

I absolutely love that beer and at the same time can totally understand why some people dont.

View attachment 284259
This Shiner was absolutely horrible, like drinking semi sweet chocolate.

Oh God, I tried that during the national championship game. Tried to return it to Kroger in fact, but they said they could take back alcohol when the case had been opened. I threw it in their trash. My God that is some terrible ****.

The sheer level of hyperbole in this thread is going to break the Internet.

Go get a sixer of big flats and you'll never hate another beer.

It's the water that makes it...taste identical to water, but manage to give the worst headache ever. I bought Big Flats the second it hit the shelves at my local Walgreens. Shared it with friends, because that's what friends do. A lot of them liked it...I was not one of them.

I'm South Indian and the Indra Kunindra tasted like my mom's chickpea curry. I'd drink it again.

I'm glad I tried this beer just to say that I did. But it's seriously like drinking carbonated pepper juice. Lit my throat on fire.

View attachment 284574

Ghost Scorpion from Elevator was easily the most offensive pepper beer I've ever had. I would have rather chewed on a pepper. It lost all beer flavor and was just burn. Best representation of a pepper beer...Habenero Scuplin.

beer_166744.jpg

Ghost Scorpion from Elevator was easily the most offensive pepper beer I've ever had. I would have rather chewed on a pepper. It lost all beer flavor and was just burn. Best representation of a pepper beer...Habenero Scuplin.

beer_166744.jpg

If I'm going to drink chili beers, I'd rather get pepper flavor and a little tingle than a lot of heat for the sake of heat.

I drank a bomber of Rivertown Death a few months back. It's a RIS with ghost chilies in it. It was actually a really good beer, with the right combination of flavor and a good burn on the aftertaste, but holy ****, I woke up later that night with atomic heartburn. At that point the name seemed appropriate. Not saying I wouldn't buy it again, but I'd share the bomber next time.

Can't remember the brand, but it was a ginger beer.

Never again.

For some reason, I bought a 12 pack sampler of Leinenkugel's shandys last weekend. I was intrigued. It had orange, grapefruit, ginger and their standard summer shandy (lemon). The orange, grapefruit and lemon were drinkable, and actually could be really good on a hot day. But the ginger....ugh.

Forgot to say the worst commercial beer for me. It's either Old Style, or the asparagus beer by the local here. Smells and tastes like a dirty diaper.

For some reason, I bought a 12 pack sampler of Leinenkugel's shandys last weekend. I was intrigued. It had orange, grapefruit, ginger and their standard summer shandy (lemon). The orange, grapefruit and lemon were drinkable, and actually could be really good on a hot day. But the ginger....ugh.
We were discussing this at the brew club meeting tonight. I've got the same sampler, and one of the other guys has had it. His wife loved the ginger, and I think he said he liked it as well. The standard Summer Shandy is an excellent lawnmower beer; I personally wasn't all that impressed with the orange, LOVED the grapefruit, and haven't tried the ginger yet - but don't have high expectations for it.

We were discussing this at the brew club meeting tonight. I've got the same sampler, and one of the other guys has had it. His wife loved the ginger, and I think he said he liked it as well. The standard Summer Shandy is an excellent lawnmower beer; I personally wasn't all that impressed with the orange, LOVED the grapefruit, and haven't tried the ginger yet - but don't have high expectations for it.

I've only had the grapefruit. It's outstanding. Can I mix my own shandys? I might give it a shot.

Harpoon's leviathan.

It's WAY too full bodied for me, and the alcohol taste was way too boozy. I gave 3 of them away...

Grapefruit was definitely the best of the bunch in my opinion. I was almost turned away from the aroma because it was almost too grapefruity, but the flavor was more balanced. I'd actually consider buying more of just the grapefruit shandy. I could live without the others, although I'll have no problem drinking what I have left (except the ginger).

Simpler Times

I like most of the stuff that Trader Joe's has to offer except when it comes to ice cream and their house house brand beers. Simpler Times is the worst of the bunch though.

Back