cleaning copper kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GranillaNutz

Reaction score
so far i've been using distilled vineger... should i spray it one good time with a 10x1 ratio of water to muriatic acid prior to welding the seams? or would that be just not good for my beer.

so far i've been using distilled vineger... should i spray it one good time with a 10x1 ratio of water to muriatic acid prior to welding the seams? or would that be just not good for my beer.

It sounds like your are building a copper kettle ?, I have a 50 gallon copper kettle from circa 1800, I use only white vinegar at a ratio of 2 gallons to 30 gallons of water and boil for 20 minutes, I would not risk muriatic acid, that's pretty harsh stuff. I am a bit confused by the welding the seams part of your post, please explain?

yes i am building my own
and yes i need to weld the seams still
copperpot.jpg

Wow...very cool.

The welding part thru me off, you mean solder or braze the seams. I would use silver solder for that size tank with either acetylene or at least mapp gas. I would use a fine steel wool to clean your seams #00 or #000.

How many gallons will it be? what are your plans for a top rim? handles ?

i think i figured it to be just under 20 gallons... 16 gauge i think? it's fairly sturdy.. and no it didn't cost anything.. a 3'x10' sheet at the scrap yard goes for about 60 bux right now... only 30 if u sell it to them...i think i'll get 2 more pots that size and lids for all three.. i plan on putting somesort of band around it once or twice to help it hold it's shape... i have copper left over for the top and handles... i plan on making it a stationary part of my brewing rig...

Back