Brown krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I am in the process of making my peanut butter porter. I've always had a kind of cream colored krausen. I've never had a brownish krausen. It looks like chocolate fudge. I'm not too worried about it. I just thought I would share.

image-2114308208.jpg

Oh its wyeast Irish ale yeast

Attachments

• image-103817481.jpg
    image-103817481.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 493
Well this is my version
I probably would have used more of 2 row as my base but so far the initial wort taste was pretty delicious.

image-2325522342.jpg

I used 2.5 ounces of east kent goldings at 60 minutes. Some would say that too hoppy but whatever.

I'm adding the 2 jars of powdered (pb2) peanut butter to my secondary. I also have some peanut butter extract which I might add to taste. I havnt really decided yet.

I never saw a recipe with flaked oats in it so I thought I would throw them in too

Update*

Well, due to time constraints. I bottled my peanut butter porter last night. Total time from brew day to bottling was about 17 days. I usually don't rush these things but this one I kinda had to.

Reminder. I used 2 jars of PB2 for 7 days in the secondary and 1.5 teaspoons of peanut butter extract for 5 days.

The taste was really nice. MALTY, a hint of peanut butter. It has a great peanut butter aroma.I think after the maltiness smooths out a little it might get better.

I may have put in too much roasted barley. Hopefully it smooths out a little. Either ways it should turn out good. I can't wait to taste it after it has conditioned.

Kmcogar said:
Update*

I may have put in too much roasted barley. Hopefully it smooths out a little. Either ways it should turn out good. I can't wait to taste it after it has conditioned.

I have noticed the roastes barley flavor can smooth with time. Next time you might want to cut it down to 4-6oz but i think by the time these bottles are ready to drink it should be smoother

Yeah I next time I'll probably cut it in half.

THE APP IS BREW PAL.

I have it on my iPhone. It works great. I sent a question to the developer and he responded in a day. The app had some problems at first but now it runs really smooth. I highly recommend it.

Update* this recipe took 2nd place in the specialty category in a competition I put it in. It's goooood!

Back