A couple quick questions that I should know the answer to by now...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I should know the answer after this long...but alas...

First: my basement is currently about 65-68f. I bottled my Golden Lager this morning. I have a "warm room" where there's a space heater, and I keep it in the high 70's-low 80's for bottle carbing ales. Is it better to put the lager in there for a week or two just to ensure carbonation? Or should I just leave it out in the outer basement? I'm inclined to go the latter route, but I just wanna be sure.

Second: Since I bottled my lager, I now have a space free in my lagerator. I have a cappuccino stout that I brewed the friday before last, and is currently aging in secondary. Would it be better to cold-condition it for a few weeks? Or do I need warmer temps during secondary for the yeast to clean up their uglies and everything to condition better/faster? I've cold-conditioned ales before, and it cleans them up quite a bit...but I'm not sure if I need at least a couple weeks at room temp first.

For the first, I'd be inclined to leave them in the main basement (the cooler room), especially since it's lager yeast that are used to working in cooler environments. I doubt there would be much, if any, off-result from putting them in the warm room, but I'd rather err on the side of being cool.

Regarding the second question... I don't have an answer, but Jamil made a comment a few podcasts back that stuck with me. He's not necessarily convinced that yeast really do any "cleaning up," per se. His hypothesis is that the benefits of conditioning a beer are not from yeast activity, but simply from proteins, tannins, and other particulate matter dropping out of suspension. Under that hypothesis, you'd be better off cold-conditioning (accelerating that process) than letting it sit for longer at room temperature.

Personally, I'd be inclined to let it sit out warm for a bit longer, then cold-condition it for a week. How long's it been since you brewed it?

the_bird said:
For the first, I'd be inclined to leave them in the main basement (the cooler room), especially since it's lager yeast that are used to working in cooler environments. I doubt there would be much, if any, off-result from putting them in the warm room, but I'd rather err on the side of being cool.

Regarding the second question... I don't have an answer, but Jamil made a comment a few podcasts back that stuck with me. He's not necessarily convinced that yeast really do any "cleaning up," per se. His hypothesis is that the benefits of conditioning a beer are not from yeast activity, but simply from proteins, tannins, and other particulate matter dropping out of suspension. Under that hypothesis, you'd be better off cold-conditioning (accelerating that process) than letting it sit for longer at room temperature.

Personally, I'd be inclined to let it sit out warm for a bit longer, then cold-condition it for a week. How long's it been since you brewed it?

Thanks Birdman. Brewed it friday before last, so about 10 days. Racked it to secondary on Friday. I'll take your advice and let it sit at 65 until this friday, then move it to the lagerator. That should give the espresso time to meld.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to do some experimenting don't it. Take a batch that's just finished primary. Rack off 1 gallon into a jug and leave it at ferment temps for 3 weeks. Rack off another gallon and cold condition at 35F for 3 weeks. Leave the remaining beer in primary for 3 weeks. Bottle, label them well, and do a blind taste test. Where are all the 1-gallon cornies when you need them? I suppose for the tasting portion you could just go to 1-liter soda bottles with carbonator caps. It shouldn't take much to force carb. Hmmm gears turning, lightbulbs over my head...

I'd keep the lagered bottled beer at the cooler cellar temp. How long did you lager it anyway?

As for the stout, sometimes I wished I took better notes on my final product. I started cold conditioning my stouts from the get-go so unfortunatley I have no benchmark to help you out with here. FWIW I must say they do taste clean.
May I suggest you try cold conditioing your stout, and be sure to take some good notes in the name of research? ;)

Glibbidy said:
I'd keep the lagered bottled beer at the cooler cellar temp. How long did you lager it anyway?

As for the stout, sometimes I wished I took better notes on my final product. I started cold conditioning my stouts from the get-go so unfortunatley I have no benchmark to help you out with here. FWIW I must say they do taste clean.
May I suggest you try cold conditioing your stout, and be sure to take some good notes in the name of research? ;)

Fermented for a week. Lagered for 6 wks. Could have gone longer, but it tasted freakin awesome. I'm psyched about all the maltiness that I'm getting from the decoc.

I've cold-conditioned a porter for 6 weeks before, and it was excellent. Doubt I'll age this one for quite that long, but we'll see. I'm somehow out of bottles. Might have something to do with the 6 batches that I've bottled in the past month.

Back