Is my beer ruined?? Help Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
I have a keg of pale ale that had a leaky seal and my CO2 tank is empty. With a way for air to escape the keg I'm guessing there is a way for air and bacteria to also enter the keg and am curious if its contents are now ruined?

its easier for preasure to get out than outside air to invade. Weve all had the top blow off of out beer or come off at some point and most likley they end up fine. If it ever dos get contaminated you WILL DEFFINITLY know because it will taste funny. At that point you can always toss it or feed it to some unsuspecting college kids.

I have been tasting this recently and it has a definite sour wang to it. It's not overpowering but it is there. I brewed this on Good Friday so it is still rather young but I am unsure if it's good or not.

give it time. You can always toss it later but it would be a shame if it ends up turning out great. Time heals alot of small mistakes

Yea, you probably lost pressure in the keg but still had a blanket of CO2 in there. I doubt that you got any contamination. Like mentioned above, fully fermented beer is pretty resistant to bacteria.

Back