Brown Honey Ale and Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dondford

Reaction score
I am thinking about brewing the NB Brown honey Ale; in reading the reviews one reviewer who seemed very knowledgeable mentioned he used 2 Cups + 2 Tb of cane sugar to prime. That is well over 2 times sugar the instructions called for. When I primed my Irish Red Ale I was very careful in measuring out the 5/8 cup of cane sugar to prime. I have been afraid if I over primed I would have exploding bottles, so I was surprised to see someone exceeding the amount so much.
What's the word on the amount of priming sugar; are there any guidelines as to the maximum amount you should use?
Thanking you in advance for any advice,

D

I've only primed with corn sugar, but in my experience, 3/4 cup, plus or minus a little bit depending on the style, has gotten me good carbonation. There are priming sugar calculators online that you can try. I've had better luck with the basic 3/4 of a cup.

I am thinking about brewing the NB Brown honey Ale; in reading the reviews one reviewer who seemed very knowledgeable mentioned he used 2 Cups + 2 Tb of cane sugar to prime. That is well over 2 times sugar the instructions called for. When I primed my Irish Red Ale I was very careful in measuring out the 5/8 cup of cane sugar to prime. I have been afraid if I over primed I would have exploding bottles, so I was surprised to see someone exceeding the amount so much.
What's the word on the amount of priming sugar; are there any guidelines as to the maximum amount you should use?
Thanking you in advance for any advice,

D

Use this:

Northern Brewer Priming Sugar Calculator

Back