Trees to plant for cider in mid-atlantic area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVMJ

Reaction score
I like to plant trees and have a little spot I think some apple trees would like. Since I now want to make cider and know it always tastes better if you grow your own I would like peoples opinions on which trees to plant. I have a big apple tree in my yard, I "think" its a winesap, at least several people who claim to know about apple trees have guess that is what it is. We have bees to pollinate already. I would like to add some crabapples for pollination. So has anyone opinions on what kind of apples trees to plant for cidermaking? Thanks, WVMJ

You are asking a very big question there. By the fact you are in the mid-atlantic doesn't mean much. Apples are hardy to way further north. We have quite the apple industry in Vermont and can grow just about any cold hardy variety.
As far as personal choices, I personally have 5 trees and will be grafting on more variety to my current trees. I can't decide so I keep adding more variety.
Pick and choose, can't go wrong. My personal thought is to check local orchards and don't get anything they have (Northern Spy for me). My current trees are Golden and Roxburry Russets, Calville Blanc, Cox orange pippen, winesap. I plan on grafting Sweet alford, Esopus Spitzenburg and Wickson Crab (and probably another variety or two). I also have a grafting of Yarlington Mill. I also have a nice large crab which will hopefully be a nice polinator.
Have fun.

Thanks, a lot on that list that are not avaible from normal commercial nurserys. WVMJ

Normal commercial nurserys are going to sell to normal people. And normal orchards are going to sell to normal people. Wonder why Macs are so popular? They are one of the best keepers. Orchards keep walk in fridges cram pack full of them and they keep till spring.
There are other good sources too. If an orchard is going to sell a lot of heritage varieites they are probably a legitimate company. I've had great luck with Millers and I get my scion wood from Maple Valley Orchards. Have fun debating the next tree in your head. You can't win, there will always be one more variety that looks good too.

Back