Watery...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunchtime

Reaction score
My last brew was an Espresso Stout...Unfortunately, the texture seems to be way off. The flavor is dead on but the beer itself is watery. That's the best way I can think to explain it. Any idea what went wrong here? I've never had this issue with another brew which makes this pretty confusing.

In order to get the proper "mouth feel" the beer has to have body. Body can be obtained through use of pound or so of the right grain soaked in the wort before an extract malt is added or through a non fermentable sugar like lactose (milk sugar) added to the wort. A stout needs body.

So, as the last poster suggested - show us your recipe and we'll show you where the body went.

Recipe type:Extract
Boil Time:60 min.

Ingredients:

2lbs Amber Dry Extract
6lbs Dark Liquid Extract
1lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt
8.0oz chocolate malt
1.00ozSimcoe(60 min)
2.00oz Saaz (15min)
1.00oz Goldings
Yeast:Wyeast Labs #1098

As far as the coffee goes, I did a cold-brew in about a L of water...I added this to the secondary. As far as I can tell that would be the culprit but it was so little water compared to the 5g, I didn't think it would make such a huge difference.

If you're used to stout on tap at a bar, the nitrogen mouthfeel is pretty tough to replicate in a bottle conditioned beer.

Well I've made Stouts before. A simple Irish Stout. It wasn't close to a Guinness on tap as far as mouth feel but it was way better than this. This is honestly like drinking a coffee flavored glass of water to me.

Ya, it's just EVERY recipe I looked at, told me to do this. I suppose you're right though...next time I'll just add ground bean and filter it out before I bottle.

Latest posts

Back