Timing for Pectic Enzyme addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SauceBoss

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am in the process of brewing a beer with peach puree being added to the secondary. I have read a few sources stating that its best to add the Pectic Enzyme to the carboy PRIOR to fermentation, and a few posts stating that it should be added after 'to taste' when bottling/kegging.

I brewed the beer with Irish Moss and the trub/protiens clumped up which has already helped but I wanted to do what I can to make the beer as clear as possible. Its been in secondary for about a week and a half. Do you guys think its too late to add the enzyme? Any help will be thankful. :)

Don't have any experience with either peach puree or pectic enzyme, but from what I've read all you're trying to do it dissolve some of the pectins floating around in the beer given off by the peaches to clear it up. Therefore, I'm not sure why you'd add it before fermentation when there isn't any pectin yet.

I think you're probably fine right now to add it in secondary. If you are kegging this batch, I could also see adding it directly to the keg, but then you'd probably have to keep the keg a little warmer for a few days for the enzyme to act. I guess the other thing to do is to take a look at your beer. Is it really cloudy from the pectin? If its not, you might be able to get by without it. But that's just me guessing :).

Back