Amber Ale w/ hops flavor question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjab19

Reaction score
My second batch of brew in a few months and I decided to do an amber ale.

5gallons
6lbs amber DME
.75lbs crystal 80
teaspoon irish moss at 15 minutes
.5oz simcoe 10% aa at 45 mins
1 oz sterling 6% aa at 10 mins
late addition of 5lbs of the extract at 10 mins
california ale yeast
33IBU's estimated
60 minute boil. steeped the grains from cold to about 150*ish.
SG-est at 1.055 FG exactly at 1.010
Fermentation started when it was 72* then the remainder of the fermentation done at about 68*. In primary for two weeks, popped open one bottle last night after 10 days.

Things I learned since this batch are to start with light DME always and use adjuncts to change color/flavor. I was very sanitary, using star san. I was extremely careful when racking to avoid sediment and the beer came out really clear.

HOP QUESTION:
Given the information above I need help figuring out hop flavors. I know this beer is probably "green" but when I tasted the beer there is this initial strong flavor. The flavor is kind of "piney", sharp tasting, which I suppose is a characteristic of Simcoe, but woah! But then when I swallow the beer the remaining flavor is excellent. Is the first part the flavor from the bitter hops (simcoe) and the second taste the flavor hops (Sterling)?

Maybe I am thinking too much about it. But I am trying to figure what hops I like and don't like and if the two different tastes are coming from the two different hops I would rather not use the hop that caused the first taste again because it is a bit much.

Also---with the late addition maybe it's just that the IBU's are way higher than expected and it's just a bitter, strong hop flavored beer!

Sorry about the length. Any discussion would be appreciated. I'll update my flavor info. when I check it in a couple of weeks.

Also---with the late addition maybe it's just that the IBU's are way higher than expected and it's just a bitter, strong hop flavored beer!

correct me if I'm wrong experts (I'm a noob); but doesn't late addition hops just add aroma and not much IBU's?

Yes- he's talking about adding the extract late in the boil, which increases hops utilization, giving about 25% more bitterness to the beer with the same ingredients.

I LOVE simcoe, but when young it's very piney and I think that's what you're tasting. I love a simcoe/amarillo combination, because they seem to complement each other well. I'm not sure about the sterling- I've only used them once, instead of saaz, I believe.

This will smooth out with some time, but may still taste piney to you, since you used simcoe for bittering.

Two weeks in the bottle now and the simcoe has mellowed out some. Its starting too taste more like an amber IPA thingy as opposed to a pine tree. I'll report back in two more weeks! :p

Back