Can I save it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westbrews

Reaction score
Alright... I'm pretty sure I know the several things I did wrong, I'd like some confirmation on it though.

So, here's the recipe (it's eclectic, I know) Looking to hit a dark iipa.

Ingredients

8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 1
8.0 oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 2
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 3 37.2 IBUs
3 lbs Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract
3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract
3 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 22.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 28.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 12.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 5.2 IBUs
2.0 pkg Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 11 -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

OG 1.077 FG 1.018

So it was in the primary for 1 week at 65 degrees ambient temp, then 2 weeks secondary at 65 degrees ambient temp and then bottle conditioned at 73 degrees ambient temp for 3 weeks.

I cracked one open 2 nights ago and it was amazing, very hop forward and exactly what I thought it should be. But I've opened six more and they are a nail polish remover/fruitsalad soup. It looks great, head is thick and the beer is dark but the taste is awful. Huge headache after drinking.

This is what I think I did wrong: too short of a secondary conditioning period for a high OG beer, the bottle conditioning temp was too high, and I only measured ambient temp for primary and secondary instead of wort temp.

I took the bottle back to 48 degrees ambient to see if it will mellow but I don't have high hopes.

Can a longer bottle conditioning save this, and why would just 1 out of 7 bottles taste right?

From what I'm reading your obvious variable from bottle to bottle is... well the bottles. What are your cleaning and sanitation practices for your bottles?

I use starsan and air dry on a bottle tree that has been sprayed with starsan. All of my bottle are cleaned and scrubbed, and then sanitized and if I don't use them right away then I sanitize again

I usally associate "nail polish" with the BJCP flaw of "Solvent-like". Which can be caused by fermentation temps that are too warm. If 65F was the ambient temp the fermenting wort-to-beer could be as high at 75F, which would have a higher-than-not likelihood of producing headache causing fusels. The one good bottle is throwing me for a loop though.

What was the yeast strain?

I used two packages of Nottingham dry yeast... the one good bottle is what really bothers me too. The only thing I know that was different was that I pulled it and chilled it 2 days before the others, but that doesn't seem like enough time to make a difference... right?

The solvent-like affect I mentioned would is typical during fermentation. I suppose it could happen during bottle conditioning, but I would suspect the bottles to also be over-carbonated which it doesn't sound like they are. If it were me I would just put them all in the back of the fridge and forget about them for 6 months. Going forward try cooling down your fermentation with one of those big buckets with rope handles filled with a water bath. Freeze some 2 Liters and throw them in the water bath and swap them every day or so.

I guess my biggest concern is, is it possible for bottle conditioning at too high a temp to cause fusel alcohol's to develop. I tasted the beer before I bottled it and it was fine. Is it possible that it was already damaged and I wouldn't taste it until after it aged in the bottle for 3 weeks? My bottle aging temp is right around 73 degrees ambient temp. I live in Texas so I ferment in a regulated freezer and bring the bottles into a closet to carbonate. It's an easy fix to turn the regulator down to a fermentation temp of 60 ambient if needed but I'm running out of space to age the bottles and It's not feasible to turn my ac down to 70. My fiance will kill me if I set up a swamp cooler in the kitchen and my garage is 100 degrees in the summer.

Back