paint mixer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keystyles

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had ever thought to use a paint mixer to help out with cooling the wort while using an immersion chiller? It would certainly cause the beer to cool much faster, but im worried about whether using it would be safe. Most of them seem to be made from galvanized steel but there seems to be some that might be ungalvanized. Any thoughts?

I use a big morter mixer on about half of my beers. It works great, just be sure to sanitize. Helps with aeration too.

would it work to add it to the wort towards the end of the boil like i do with my immersion chiller? that is really the time that i'm worried about since it would be pretty warm and i would think if there were chemical that were going leach into the wort it would be then.

isurf said:
Try not to splash your hot wort, don't want to oxidize anything.

It's the fermenting wort you don't want to splash around. Adding oxygen to the wort before oh ppitch the yeast is a good thing. It helps the yeast to begin working faster.

burninmules said:
It's the fermenting wort you don't want to splash around. Adding oxygen to the wort before oh ppitch the yeast is a good thing. It helps the yeast to begin working faster.

Yeh.
I used a paint mixer when I use to use a immersion chiller, to cool it faster. Now I use it in the mash tun to mix since I made a CFC.

Once upon a time there was an evil entity named "hot-side aeration". It was an evil entity that many thought caused beer to taste like cardboard.

Eventually many HBTers united on the inter-webs and discovered that for the most part this entity was powerless against the small size of home brew batches and all was well. Hot-side Aeration was forever banished as a major concern for home brewer.

All was good and the use of mixers to whirlpool wort was declared safe throughout the realm.:mug:

I'm over simplifying things but using a mixer is fine, I do it often. There are many threads here dealing with hot side aeration.

I use a paint mixer (plastic, from Lowes) to mix my mash. I mixes the crap out of the mash - no dough balls.

It is used excusively for brewing only.

Latest posts

Back