? on yeast starter for extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoutfan72

Reaction score
I have just ordered two extract kits from N.B, a winter warmer and nut brown ale. Both with dry yeast packets. I am on my 10th extract brew and plan on doing my 1st yeast starter,but I read that someone does not recc. doing one with dry yeast, Why? I too have been pretty consistently FGing at 1020 although beer has tasted good and everybody enjoys it, am I doing something wrong, if so what can i do better! Also after fermentation I transfer into corny keg and then add CO2 psi and let sit for period of time to condition, should i be psi keg or not? Thanks for any advise as I am new to joining this forum.

Sounds like you're doing things right. A final gravity of 1.020 can be high depending on what you're brewing, but since you're using extract, it's somewhat expected. Extract doesn't finish as low as AG.

As for a starter...it's not needed with dry yeast. You do however, need to rehydrate it.

am on my 10th extract brew and plan on doing my 1st yeast starter,but I read that someone does not recc. doing one with dry yeast, Why?

Suthrncomfrt1884 is right. You don't need one. The reason is because there is a ton of cells in the dry vs. the liquid. Plus, the liquid is alive and the dry is dormant.

I too have been pretty consistently FGing at 1020 although beer has tasted good and everybody enjoys it, am I doing something wrong, if so what can i do better!

Suthrncomfrt1884 is right again. There are a number of reasons as to why you are FGing around 1.020. Have you calibrated your hydrometer?

Also after fermentation I transfer into corny keg and then add CO2 psi and let sit for period of time to condition, should i be psi keg or not? Thanks for any advise as I am new to joining this forum.

You don't have to keep your kegs on gas to condition them, but it won't hurt them to do it. You can take the tram to the top, or you can ride the donkey. The price is the same. :D...The choice is up to you.

You definitely don't need to rehydrate it, I feel this is a common misconception, there is simply no need. You can pitch the yeast directly on to the cooled wort. I have never hydrated dry yeast before and my attenuation has always been spot on

Back