I guess my yeast is working...pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I am somewhat new to mead making. I made my 4th yesterday. A mulit-berry melomel. I pitched the yeast(71B) at 3pm on the 29th. A bit less then 24 hours later and this is what it looks like.

This is the first time that I added some fruit in the primary, so I am not used to seeing all this krausen in a mead. Beer yes, mead no. Just thought I would post a pic. It may be normal to most of you but it was cool for me to see.

0930101357a2.jpg
[/IMG]

hate to tell you this man but your supposed to add the fruit to the secondary to preserver the fruit aroma and flavor. the CO2 from the active fermentation will carry the fruit smell and and some of the taste away. but other than that it looks about right. maybe some of the fruit seeped through the mesh in the bag and is now floating on top of the mead. don't worry to hard about it.

I wouldn't worry about the fruit in primary too much. Just add more to secondary if you feel it's lacking. Make sure to degas that CO2 out of there though to keep your yeast happy. I do it every time I punch the fruit cap down.

hate to tell you this man but your supposed to add the fruit to the secondary to preserver the fruit aroma and flavor. the CO2 from the active fermentation will carry the fruit smell and and some of the taste away. but other than that it looks about right. maybe some of the fruit seeped through the mesh in the bag and is now floating on top of the mead. don't worry to hard about it.

I reserved 1/2 of the fruit for the secondary.

I think "supposed to" is somewhat of a hard and fast phrase...it depends on what you're going for. Yes, you will get less recognizable fruit aroma and flavor, but it's not "wrong" to add fruit to primary...it will just be different...

It sure would be hard to make wine without putting grapes in primary...also, what would I be fermenting if I didn't have apple cider as the bulk of the must in my cyser!?

Oh, and regarding the initial question...it looks fine to me...messy, but OK...I'm sure a lot of that schmutz will drop out if you let it settle. I'd wait for the fermentation to finish, the remove the bag, scoop out what you can of that debris, stir it up and let it settle a couple more weeks before racking.

Back