Question regarding Scottish 60 from NB and its boil time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leapinglords

Reaction score
So this is my second batch of beer, but first time using steeping grains. The instructions seem unclear to me in regards to the boil time. It describes an initial 60 minute boil of the fermentables, and then a 60 minute boil of the hops as well. Is this a second boil, or is it just one boil with the hops added at the beginning?

While it could be a 120 minute boil total, the first 60 without the hops, to get some kettle caramelization (which is a technique sometimes used, especially with this style, to get additional flavors and color), I would think it is probably just a 60 minute boil with the hops added for the full 60 minutes. Can you post the exact wording of the instructions?

BRING WATER TO A BOIL AND ADD FERMENTABLES
Once boiling, turn off heat and/or remove the kettle from the burner. Add ingredients listed under "Fermentables" in the Kit Inventory and stir to dissolve. Return the kettle to the burner and bring the wort to a boil.

BOIL THE WORT FOR 60 MINUTES
Once the wort returns to a boil, set a timer to 60 minutes. Add boil additions (cops and spices) to the kettle at the time specified on the Kit Inventory. All times on the Kit Inventory are listed in minutes before the end of the boil.

COOL THE WORT
etc......

It's one boil. You bring the wort to a boil, then set the timer for 60 minutes and start adding your hops. The "heading" is just part of the instructions, not a separate step.

Never BOIL the steeping grains.At 155 add em and turn the heat off.15 minutes later pull the grains up and dunk,dunk,dunk.Then turn the heat on and start your boil.

Back