Redneck three tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cranny04

Reaction score
I think i need a pump... I almost died filling the HLT

image-1760518321.jpg

Hahahaha.... I usually do.. It's cold out so I'm going to fire my burner half way through the Sparge to hurry up the boil...

If you actually brewed like that, you're a dope:), and I hope you have decent medical coverage. And why are you using a cooler as a HLT?

_

wildwest450 said:
If you actually brewed like that, you're a dope:), and I hope you have decent medical coverage. And why are you using a cooler as a HLT?

_

Because I already had a cooler... Why not use it?

And why are you using a cooler as a HLT?

_

I thought most people did this. Personally, I heat my water much higher than needed, dump it in my cooler HLT, then wait/stir until it is at strike temp, then mash in. It works well to hold temp for your strike/sparge water....

spenghali said:
I thought most people did this. Personally, I heat my water much higher than needed, dump it in my cooler HLT, then wait/stir until it is at strike temp, then mash in. It works well to hold temp for your strike/sparge water....

This is what I do

depends how nice your cooler is. his mash tun is the middle one, like in most 3 tier AG setups.

I get that. You said you dump your water into the hlt and add grains, thus making it a mash tun not a hlt, he said he did the same thing. I was just trying to clarify the terminology. :mug:

_

Looks like you've got some work to do on your brew rig :) here is a pic of my homemade gravity system. it's ugly, but I don't have to move hot water around manually.

brew.jpg

More clarification please. Is that really a balancing act on top of the stool on top of the barbecue? Just asking, not drawing conclusions here...:confused:

Edit: question directed at OP, not at Post #12

NWEagle said:
More clarification please. Is that really a balancing act on top of the stool on top of the barbecue? Just asking, not drawing conclusions here...:confused:

Edit: question directed at OP, not at Post #12

Yes it is

I get that. You said you dump your water into the hlt and add grains, thus making it a mash tun not a hlt, he said he did the same thing. I was just trying to clarify the terminology. :mug:

oh sorry if it came off that way. i actually have an MLT that i have the grain in, then my strike water in my HLT, then mash in the classic 3 tier way, anyway, happy brewing

:ban:

I brewed one batch on my 3 tier, then bought pumps. Once I bought pumps, I then realized, that I should have built a single tier. :drunk: Really man, get a pump and drop that thing down. I must say it was no fun climbing up and dumping 15 gallons into my HLT. A brewer has to do what he has to do. Making due is better than no brew at all. :tank:

You should use a metal pot for a HLT - that way you can cook a couple of steaks while you heat your sparge water with the grill.

Hmm typical strike water temp is around 160F and sparge water is 168F. How does that work if you just put all the water in the cooler beforehand?

Hmm typical strike water temp is around 160F and sparge water is 168F. How does that work if you just put all the water in the cooler beforehand?

I heat my strike water, put it in the cooler, then mash in when its at the right temp. Then, with about 30 minutes left in the mash, I start heating my sparge water and put it in the cooler, then sparge when its at the right temp. So I actually heat the strike/sparge separately. The cooler works great if you are doing 2 or 3 batch sparges.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back