Adjust Temp for Equipment w/ Beersmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berlbrew

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. Yesterday I finally set up Beersmith with my actual equipment which is a 10 gal round cooler MLT with a 12.5 gal keggle and turkey fryer, and I gave my estimate for my evaporation rate and cooling loss. After I finished, I went through each of my recipes and changed the equipment to the setting I had just created. Now I'm noticing that for all my mashes the "Adjust Temp For Equipment" box is checked and my strike water temps are significantly higher.

My question is this: if I'm preheating my MLT (as I always do) and my strike water temps were dead on before I created the setting for my actual equipment, should I go through and un-check the adjust temp for equipment box on each of my recipes? My instinct says yes, but I'm not entirely sure...

Hopefully this makes sense, any help is appreciated!

Here's how I do it:

Heat your strike water to 10 or 12 (or more) degrees above your strike temperature, and add the water to the mash tun. Cover and let temperatures equalize for five minutes or so. Then, check the water temperature and either stir the water a bit to cool it, or (if you're still too high), add a small amount of cold water and then wait a few minutes. Add the grain when the water cools down to the proper strike temperature.

Other people add some boiling water to the mash tun first to heat it up. Like lots of other things in brewing, there are multiple paths to the same goal.

Here's how I do it:

Heat your strike water to 10 or 12 (or more) degrees above your strike temperature, and add the water to the mash tun. Cover and let temperatures equalize for five minutes or so. Then, check the water temperature and either stir the water a bit to cool it, or (if you're still too high), add a small amount of cold water and then wait a few minutes. Add the grain when the water cools down to the proper strike temperature.

Other people add some boiling water to the mash tun first to heat it up. Like lots of other things in brewing, there are multiple paths to the same goal.

ditto!
:mug:

Back