Preparing for Chest Freezer Surgery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chattahooch

Reaction score
I have been accumulating parts and ideas and sketches for converting my 18 cu ft chest freezer into a proper kegerator. I have already wired a dwyer love ts temp controller (though I will redo my work for the final product) which I plan to mount in the side of the collar. One question I have is if anyone has suggestions as to the best way to do this.
Another issue is that the chest freezer has some wiring running from the bottom of the back side to the lid. It powers the lid, quick freeze and temp alarm mechanisms. I dont really need any of those (the light would be nice) but I dont think I could remove the instrument panel/handle without having a mess on my hands. I dont mind the handle being there, though i wouldnt mind it disappearing either. Anyway, the power cord to the lid only has a few inches of slack in it, three or so. I was wondering if anyone knows how hard it would be to possibly cut the lid power cord, splice in some extra wiring, and wrap it all up nice and neat. I wired the temp controller with no prior experience in wiring so Im feeling a little cocky. I ask because I was hoping for a wider collar than what the present length would allow me.
My other plans include tiling the top of the lid with some spare tiles my mom has from house renovation, painting the body black or possibly another darker color and "aging" it. A wood bar rail "arm rest" to run around the top edge of the lid, excluding the handle in the middle front and the back edge. I also would like to install brass foot rails that screw into the front (and possibly on the sides) and rest on the ground. Would some short screws go through the coolant lines? Is there a safe way to do it if so? Would liquid nails be strong enough?
I would have posted some pics of my wiring and the freezer but Im computer has been a little screwy :drunk: and Im not gonna risk such a complicated procedure. I hope there is enough there for someone to help me on something. I also hope you didnt stop reading when you saw how long winded Im being. Nuff Said.

Alston Jones
Proud Brewer of Chattahooch.

If you don't need the stuff going into the lid, then a simple test is to unplug the freezer, cut the wire to the lid, wire-nut each one off (dead end) and plug it back in. Does it work properly? if so, you're good to go. If not, splice away for the extra length.

photos can be posted to a site like photobucket...
Good luck, looking forward to some pics.

Back