Can you buy a kit for Dos Equis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramps

Reaction score
I really like this beer and wondered if there is a kit or something at least very close to this brew. Cheers

I think austinhomebrew.com might have one. Check and make sure it's not a lager kit, though, unless you're set up to do lagers.

Edit- I just looked at their website, and as I suspected, Dos Equis is a lager. Can you do lagers?

Dos Equis makes a lager, but also an amber ale. The True Brew Amber kit lists Dos Equis as a "commercial comparison."

I have never done a lager. I have only done 2 brews the wheat and the american light. Thanks for the tip. Cheers

I've made the Austin Homebrew Dos Equis kit twice now. It makes a very nice Vienna lager that is somewhere in between Dos Equis and Negra Modelo, though with a little less hop bitterness than I'd like. I've tweaked the kit a bit each time I've made it. Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager makes for a very malty beer while WLP940 Mexican Lager (if you can find it) makes for a dryer, crisper beer. I left out the supplied 4oz of maltodextrine each time, depending on control of mash temperatures to achieve the body I was looking for. The second version, with WLP940, fermented out to 1.006 and was just a little thin. The maltodextrine would have helped.

I also changed the hop schedule for the second version, going with 1.5oz Tettnang @ 60, .5oz Tettnang @ 20, and 1oz Spalt @ 7 minutes. The original recipe calls for 1.25oz Tettnang @ 60 and .25oz @ 15 minutes. The second version was much better.

As Yooper said, though, you have to have the capacity to ferment cold. I have a spare fridge in the garage. If I turn the thermostat all the way down it will hold about 48°, which is a little cooler than ideal but has worked reasonably well for the lagers I've made.

Chad

I can see now that I am way over my head. I don't have an extra fridge at the moment but I see I will proably need one in the near future. Thankx for all the replies and Chad I will take your notes and try my hand at it soon. Cheers

Latest posts

Back